Some believe that work experience is way more crucial than what is currently being taught at schools

PeterBrown 16 / 25 6  

Work experience vs theories

In today's job market it is far more important to have practical skills than theoretical knowledge. In the future, job applicants may not need any formal qualifications.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Some believe that work experience is way more crucial than what is currently being taught at schools, universities and similar. Therefore, eventually qualifications may no longer be of use to apply for a job. I completely disagree with this statement and thus will be pleased to discuss two reasons why I believe qualifications will always remain relevant in today's world.

First of all, while some jobs do not require any qualifications, a number of other profession consider them a must, as most people will not able to carry out the task assigned to them, unless they have learned the basics of a certain profession, which could usually be found at the universities. They will provide their students with essential skills to help them successfully perform the job given to them in the most effective and efficient manner possible, resulting in their students being desirable to their potential employers; practical experience is no substitute for this type of experience. For example, in order to work as an accountant in Australia, it is of utmost importance to acquire at least a bachelor degree majoring in accounting or even CPA: without either of these qualifications, the chance of landing an accounting job these days in Australia is slim.

Apart from qualifications being simply imperative for some profession, our education system is becoming increasingly more practical, and if this trend continues to thrive, qualifications may become the only requirements needed to become employed. This is not at all surprising, considering our education system is mediocre; in fact, this system has received a plethora of criticisms regarding its theory-based nature which in turn have encouraged our educational institutions to focus more on the practical side of the major. For instance, at the University of Sydney, students who are involved in their major-related activities obtain extra credit points, allowing them to graduate from university earlier than usual.

Having discussed the importance of qualifications in today's world, it can be concluded that they are and will remain vital in the future due to the fact that some jobs will always demand them, and in the future, these qualifications will be more practical than ever before and therefore, more desirable to their potential employers. That being said, work experience is undoubtedly important. However, I refuse to believe that practical experience will ever be able to replace formal qualifications because of the aforementioned reasons.
Peter, this is a very wordy essay at 395 words. I do not advice that you write more than 250 words because you are wasting time writing excess words when you could be using the extra time allotment for editing, revising, and improving the content of your essay. You need to learn how to say more things using less words. Build your vocabulary. Wordy essays will not get you anywhere because in the actual test setting, you will find that you will be pressed for time and may not be able to complete your essay if you insist on going beyond 250 words.

Due to the wordiness of your essay, you ended up creating overly long paragraphs. You tried to get around the 5 sentence requirement by using commas to connect your thoughts, which resulted in run-on sentences and overly discussed lines. While long paragraphs with long sentences may look good on paper, it does nothing to improve your GRA score. In actuality, these long sentences, which use commas in unnecessary portions simply because you want to keep on talking even though the topics no longer relate to one another, will result in reduced GRA scores. Don't unnecessarily risk your scores in favor of being talkative. Keep it under control that is why the 5 sentence per paragraph rule was set into place for this test. Practice saying more with less words. It is all in the vocabulary use. Improve your English vocabulary to an intermediate level and you will find that you will not need so many words to express yourself.

As for the examples that you use. You could get better scoring considerations in the C&C section if you do not focus on a particular country, such as Australia, when giving examples. Use general terms because the prompt did not focus on a specific country in its presentation. The discussion you present must be applicable to any situation or country, not just one specific place. That will show a more generalized analysis of the situation and a better discussion on your part.

In the concluding paragraph, it would have been stronger if you had presented the opposing point of view first. That way, you can continue to weaken that reason based on the summarized discussion points and then, a repeat of your point of view.

Overall, you have showed an ability to analyze and appropriately discuss a given topic. I am just worried about the length of your discussion because you may be doing yourself a disservice if you continue to write excessively long essays with a total disregard for the time you need for strengthening your essay within the given time frame.

Home / Writing Feedback / Some believe that work experience is way more crucial than what is currently being taught at schools