The benefits of nuclear technology far outweigh the disadvantages. Do you agree or disagree?

william731 18 / 43 13  
The threat of nuclear weapons maintains world peace. Nuclear power provides cheap and clean energy. The benefits of nuclear technology far outweigh the disadvantages. Do you agree or disagree? Give reasons for your answer.

The proliferation of nuclear technology has led to public concern as to whether nuclear power has more benefits than its drawbacks. Although the potential threats cannot be neglected, it is believed that the advantages provided by nuclear power outweigh the shortcomings.

Admittedly, developing nuclear energy poses certain degree of threat to human beings due to the usage of radioactive materials and the safety of nuclear plants. Considered the example of meltdown of three nuclear reactors in Japan few years ago, the leakage of radiation has caused serious pollution to the surrounding areas and it is expected to take decades to fully clean up the contaminated regions.

However, nuclear energy indeed produces a relatively low amount of carbon dioxides which is the major cause of global warming. Since the consequence of global warming on public health and environment is enormous, shifting from fossil fuel to nuclear power can alleviate the problem of global warming by reducing the production of carbon dioxides.

Moreover, the traditional means of energy resources are scarce and they are expected to be fully exhausted within decades. While alternative energy such as solar energy are not ready to be widely used because of the enormous capital cost and the ineffectiveness, nuclear power is considered to be a economic resource that can be adopted to substitute traditional fossil fuels.

To conclude, it is undeniable that potential radiation leakage in nuclear plants could lead to a lethal accident. However, the immediate positive outcomes of adopting nuclear technology by far overcome the possible negative impact. Plus radiation outbreak is a rare incident since nuclear energy plants have strict set of rules regarding the safety and precaution of handling radioactive materials.
The proliferation of nuclear technology has led [...] provided by nuclear power outweigh the shortcomings.

- William, the introduction is incomplete because you forgot to provide your agreement or disagreement with the restated prompt. Your opinion was to serve as the thesis statement for your paper. You need to revise this paragraph otherwise you will not have have followed the prompt requirements.

Admittedly, developing nuclear energy poses [...] decades to fully clean up the contaminated regions.

- Is this your personal opinion on the matter? Is this your disagreement?

However, nuclear energy indeed produces a relatively low [...] can be adopted to substitute traditional fossil fuels.

- You could have combined these two paragraphs into one since the topics it discusses are connected. I suggest you do that. Also, sorry for being so repetitive, but you really need to let us know at the very start where you agree or disagree with the prompt. Reading the essay and not knowing where you stand leaves the reader wondering about that.

To conclude, it is undeniable that potential radiation [...] and precaution of handling radioactive materials.

- It is against the rules of essay writing for the writer to introduce a new idea in his concluding paragraph. So I suggest you remove the part about radiation leakage. That was you will simply have summarized your facts in the conclusion, which by the way, is still missing your opinion on the matter.
YULIS 9 / 17 1  
i think u have to give some statement are u disagree or agree in introduction paragraph
OP william731 18 / 43 13  
It is against the rules of essay writing for the writer to introduce a new idea in his concluding paragraph. So I suggest you remove the part about radiation leakage. That was you will simply have summarized your facts in the conclusion, which by the way, is still missing your opinion on the matter.

Thank for your advice.
I reorganized some paragraphs of my essay. How is it now?

The proliferation of nuclear technology has led to public concern as to whether nuclear power has more benefits than its drawbacks. Although the potential threats cannot be neglected, I personally agree with the assertion that the advantages provided by nuclear power outweigh the shortcomings as will now be discussed.

Firstly, nuclear energy indeed produces a relatively low amount of carbon dioxides which is the major cause of global warming. Since the consequence of global warming on public health and environment is enormous, shifting from fossil fuel to nuclear power can alleviate the problem of global warming by reducing the production of carbon dioxides. Moreover, the traditional means of energy resources are scarce and they are expected to be fully exhausted within decades. While alternative energy such as solar energy are not ready to be widely used because of the enormous capital cost and the ineffectiveness, nuclear power is considered to be an economic resource that can be adopted to substitute traditional fossil fuels.

Admittedly, developing nuclear energy poses certain degree of threat to human beings due to the usage of radioactive materials and the safety of nuclear plants. Considered the example of meltdown of three nuclear reactors in Japan few years ago, the leakage of radiation has caused serious pollution to the surrounding areas and it is expected to take decades to fully clean up the contaminated regions. However, radiation outbreak is a rare incident since nuclear energy plants have strict set of rules regarding the safety and precaution of handling radioactive materials.

To conclude, it is undeniable that potential radiation leakage in nuclear plants could lead to a lethal accident. Yet, the immediate positive outcomes of adopting nuclear technology by far overcome the possible negative impact.
William, some notes for you to consider :-)

- ... I have to agree with the statement that the advantages of nuclear technology far outweigh its disadvantages. This paper will look into the pros and cons of nuclear technology while also providing my own reasons supporting my point of view.

[quote=william731]Your discussion about the nuclear power plant is also good but could have been further strengthened by an explanation as to why Japan continues to use nuclear power even after their nuclear accidents.

I reached the end of your essay and I did not read your opinion on the matter. Where is it? You need to present your opinion because it is a requirement of the prompt. Please do that so that we can better review the content of your paper :-)
OP william731 18 / 43 13  

I am confused. I stated my opinion in the introduction that I agree with the statement. Paragraph 2 and 3 are my reasons. So I am not sure what kind of opinion you are looking for.
William, when you write an opinion paper essay, yo will normally need5paragraphs due to the following reasons:

1. 1st paragraph - introduction with thesis statement and personal point of view.

2. 2nd paragraph - argue an opposing argument with evidence;

3. 3rd paragraph - present a supporting argument with evidence;

4. 4th paragraph - present your point of view using personal experience, knowledge, or reading material;

5. Conclusion - covering the restated thesis, summary of facts, and repetition of your personal opinion.

So you need to present your point of view clearly by stating something along the lines of "Having presented this commonly known facts and theories about nuclear energy, I would now like to discuss the personal reasons I have for supporting nuclear energy." You can then state your agreement with the arguments by adding your own thoughts on the matter.

I hope this clarifies the basic point of view essay format for you :-) Feel free to ask follow up questions. I will answer whenever I can :-)
OP william731 18 / 43 13  
thank you for help :)

Home / Writing Feedback / The benefits of nuclear technology far outweigh the disadvantages. Do you agree or disagree?