IELTS; 'benefits of technology' What older people can learn from young people?

Shumaila86 11 / 31 9  
With the advent of technologies and inventions, our generation has become fast and advanced in every aspect of life, and this has created a wide gap between our parents and us. Therefore, some people argue that older people cannot apprentice anything from their youngsters. I disagree with this statement because there are many things that can reduce this generation gap.

First of all, everyone is using the internet and mobiles these days which seems totally different from the means of communications in the past. For instance, Face book, Skype, Whatsapp are favorite sharing forums that youngsters use nowadays but our elders are unfamiliar with their usage. By guiding them how to employ the internet and mobiles, they can keep their fellows and family members in contact easily.

Secondly, young generation takes interest in video games and those sports which need more mental skills than physical for example, Xbox, Vita and PSN. In the past, people used to play sports like Football, hockey and Cricket. However, now when our parents are attaining old age and do not have much energy to take part in games, they still can learn from us how to practice such video games and enjoy in their free time.

Last but not least, older people can join adult schools which arrange special courses on every field of their interest. For example, parents of one of my classmates live in United Kingdom, and they go to an adult school where they exercise hiking, swimming, travelling and even this school run classes about different cultures, their languages, traditions and cuisines.

In conclusion, I must say, if we really want to train our parents about how we enjoy the benefits of technology, computer, games and the internet, surely, there is nothing that we cannot explore everything together.
rozha 15 / 34  
Age cant decide on our skills and experiences,some time small age person can have more knowledge than older one,so we will not neglect the knowledge of those that are younger than us.
With the advent of technologies and inventions, our generation has become fast and advanced in every aspect of life, and this has created a wide gap between our parents and us.

.... Wish you broke this up to two sentences;
With the advent of new technologies, our generation has become fast paced and advanced in every aspect of life. This has been instrumental in creating a vast generation gap between us and our parents.

Therefore, some people argue that older people cannotapprentice anything from their youngsters.

I'm afraid that "apprentice" is not the most appropriate word here. Do not use key words that you are not very confident with their usage. They may look odd and deliver very different meanings to what you intend to express.

I disagree with this statement because there are many things that can reduce this generation gap.

... this is a common mistake that many students make. Your topic is not about generation gap, but simply about whether older people have anything to learn form the youth. So, keep it simply at what your prompt means and do not try to give different interpretations to that. It's important to keep an alignment with your topic.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS; 'benefits of technology' What older people can learn from young people?