[IELTS Writing Task 2] The best solution for traffic jam is providing free public transport?

Elizabeth0606 1 / 1  
Question:

The best way for governments to solve the problem of traffic congestion is providing free public transport for 24 hours per day, and seven days a week.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Answer:

more feasible solutions necessary

It is sometimes argued that the best solution to traffic problem is to traffic problem is to provide a free public transport system all the time. While I accept that may suit with many people, I believe that government should give more feasible solutions to address this problem.

On the one hand, there are several reasons why helping people easily access to public transports without paying the fee is beneficial in some ways. The first reason is that the using of bus and trains would help to ease traffic flow. If the government issues free bus and train passes for citizens in their countries, the demand for using private vehicles will be less serve as bus and metros are highly accessible. Another convincing reason worth mentioning is that using free public transports can help people avoid traffic jams in rush hour. For example, if employees and students chose to drive their car to go home, the traffic would be worsen that waste them a lot of time on the roads.

On the other hand, governments should consider providing more possible solutions to tackle traffic congestion. Firstly, it would be costly to provide a free public transport system for everyone while other important sectors, such as education and health care, need to be funded. This is evidence to support the idea that providing a public transport for citizens is not the best solution to solve traffic problems. Secondly, the number of passengers is very small at some certain time of a day, especially when it comes to the period from midnight to early morning. This may result in wasting of a lot of things such as fuel.

In conclusion, it is certainly true that proving people free public transportations play an important role in tackling traffic jam, but this is by no means the key consideration for government in solving this problem.
Hue, your answer to the task runs counter to the discussion prompt that you were provided. Rather than discussing whether or not you agree with the opinion presented, you are instead, discussing why the government should give solutions to the problem. That change in the prompt requirement on your part will result in a failing score for this essay. Why will it fail? It will fail because it cannot get a score higher than a 1. The reason for the score? The essay does not accurately respond to the prompt instructions. As such, it will automatically get a failing mark in terms of TA considerations. Although the body of the essay does provide a traffic related response, it does not provide a justification for the expected agreement or disagreement with the original prompt instructions. This is evidence that a different essay prompt was created and discussed by the exam taker. As such, the examiner will have no choice but to bestow a failing grade on the TA portion. Once that portion fails, the whole essay fails, regardless of other scoring considerations because the discussion does not align itself with the prompt requirements.
minhphuccttv 4 / 11  
Hello Huệ,

I agree with @Holt, I will give you more details.

The prompt is a solution for traffic jams so you don't need to write Another convincing reason worth mentioning is that using free public transports can help people avoid traffic jams in rush hour.

The example is not related to any reason so you should change it.

In the third para, governments should consider providing more possible solutions to tackle traffic congestion is does not relate to those sentences below. I think you should say This solution is good but it is not enough.

Minh Phuc

Home / Writing Feedback / [IELTS Writing Task 2] The best solution for traffic jam is providing free public transport?