The best way to solve the problem of traffic is to force people to pay toll. Agree or Disagree?

adib_yz 1 / 2  
The best way to solve the problem of traffic is to force people to pay tolls when driving in busy roads.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement

toll charge to reduce traffic

Traffic congestion has become a major problem in many megacities throughout the world. While some people argue that charging drivers who drive in busy areas is the best solution, I believe there are more practical approaches to mitigate traffic in heavily used roads.

There are various reasons that indicate why setting up a tollbooth on busy highways is not a proper method for dealing with traffic. Firstly, construction of toll stands on highways further aggravates the traffic since cars have to stop and pay money which causes traffic and road blockage on its own. Secondly, in numerous studies, it has been proven that cars produce more exhaust fumes when they stop and start moving again. This is the exact case when they reach tollbooths and therefore, they are polluting the air even further. Finally, infrastructure and buildings that are needed for charging drivers on roads, demands huge sums of public budget that could be spent on more urgent issues like maintaining and standardization of highways.

In many developed countries, governments are using traffic prevention policies that are far more functional than charging money. As with any other social issue, education plays a significant role in discouraging people from using private cars, and thus lowering traffic and its related issues. Teaching school children about benefits of public transport, producing television programs that informs society regarding consequences of traffic congestion are examples of policies that governments could follow to reduce traffic. Apart from education, city officials should constantly work on providing state of the art and standard transport systems like monorails and high-speed underground trains, particularly in dense city streets. Therefore, not only public official should educate people, they should also put their focus on implementing modern and more advanced public transport facilities.

In conclusion, I believe pressuring individuals to pay money for traveling on busy roads is not a practicable solution for traffic congestion and the focus of public officials should be on more creative and preventive approaches.
Adib, I think that you can receive an overall score of 3 with this essay. The main weak point that I can see with your writing is that your opening statement does not properly respond to the task provided. You made it clear that you would be suggesting alternative solutions to the traffic congestion problem rather than presenting reasons as to why you disagree with the statement. In fact, you did not even signify that you disagreed with the statement at the end of the first paragraph, where your opinion was expected to be presented. Due to the mistake in your thesis statement presentation, you did not manage to properly address the prompt instruction which clearly stated that you were to simply defend why you were in agreement or disagreement with the topic statement. As such, you have shown a failure to address the task due to a prompt misunderstanding. This serious error in your presentation is what led to the failing score of your essay.
OP adib_yz 1 / 2  
Thank you Holt for the great feedback. Could you write an introduction for this essay that would respond to the task provided?

Home / Writing Feedback / The best way to solve the problem of traffic is to force people to pay toll. Agree or Disagree?