Better place to live is a big city; more opportunities

Becool 4 / 6  
Some people prefer to live in a small town. Others prefer to live in a big city. Which place would you prefer to live in? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

The places we live in are an important part of out lives. The places with many opportunities and better facilities ensure and enhance our lives, so people consider living at these places. Some people prefer to live in a small town while others prefer to live in a big city. In my view, it is better to live in a big city for two important reasons.

First, there are more opportunities in a big city. It is often said that people do better when they get appropriate background, so if you are well educated and your aim is to earn a lot of money, a big city will materialize your dreams. For example, living in a small town in Nepal, my best friend's father studied Bachelor of Art 40 years ago when the literacy rate in that small town was very low, and only the people belonging to prosperous families were studying. After completing that degree, he did not get any jobs that he liked, which was because of the lack of opportunities in that small town. The jobs that he was getting were blue collar jobs, and he did not wanted to do those jobs, since an advance thought was shaped by his degree that he would get a good job after its completion. So, he does not work as a blue collar worker. He did not think of moving to a big city for some reasons, and as an alternative, he opened his own shop in his place of residency. Although he earned money with that business, but not the way he liked. This experience made me think that even after having an appropriate quality, he was unable to get jobs he wanted because of lack of opportunities. Consequently, a though came to my mind when I heard it from my friend that probably opportunities are the reasons for big cities being dense.

Second, a big city has many facilities. In the lack of better facilities, lives are not as luxurios as it should be, and people sometimes bear resentful experiences. For instance, my friend who is from a small town of India told me that his pregnant sister was giving birth to a child, but the only hospital in the town refused to take care of the case because it was a very serious case. My friend's sister had to be taken somewhere in an advance hospital in order to have her baby born. Unfortunately, because of the limited time availability, they were not able to take her to onother places, and then, they signed a paper and told the hospital to take care of that case. Unfortunately, his sister passed away in lack of a well-facilitated hospital. If his sister had had gotten to a better hopital, she would not have passed away probably. So, better facilities do keep matter, and therefore a big city also keep matter in people lives.

In conclusion, I think that the better place to live is a big city. It does not only have more opportunities, but it also has many helpful facilities. In other word, a big city has more chances of getting different kinds of jobs, and it saves lives because of variety of facilities. Thus, for an advancement of our lives,we all should consider the advantages of living in big cities which facilitate our lives.
try to keep the numbers consistent (i.e. singular and plural):
The places we live are important parts of our lives. in are an important part of out lives.

The jobs that he was getting were blue collar jobs, and he did not wanted to do those jobs, since an advance thought was shaped by his degree during his degree program he was assured that he would get a good job after its completion.

do not use ALTHOUGH with BUT. Just use one or the other, but do not use both in the sentence.
ALTHOUGH you can use either of those words, but be sure not to use both.
Although he earned money with that business, but not the way he liked.

...a big city also keep matter in people lives.----Good point!!!!

:-) I agree! Cities are cool.
OP Becool 4 / 6  
I have read that you can only write the numbers in words when they are below ten. Are you sure about the 40 to be written as forty in one of my sentences. thanks for your nice edition.
Are you sure about the 40 to be written as forty in one of my sentences.

Great question! Yes, in the 6th edition of the APA style guide they changed it to recommend typing the numerals if it is below ten. In the previous edition they recommended numerals for numbers below twenty.

So, when using APA, I follow their rule, but in my other writing I always use the word. For example, I would write one hundred instead of 100. I think the word affects the reader in a different way... emotionally.

Then again, I would write 155 instead of one hundred fifty-five.
:-) It is all about the experience I want to create for the reader.

Home / Writing Feedback / Better place to live is a big city; more opportunities