To better the society off, people need to watch over the decisions that their leaders are making.

Lauratwilight 6 / 10 1  
Topic: Is it important to question the ideas and decisions of people in position of authority?
Society advances when people begin to realize things around them are misguided by certain authority figures and begin to point those errors out. In western civilization, the sovereignty of the pope of the church, the monarch of an empire was irresistible and couldn't be challenged. Common people were intimidated of questioning the authority even those people in position made erroneous decisions. However, it is always important for people to point out the misleading because sometimes society progresses when things are getting questioned.

The pope of the church has always held supreme power as he was regard as the messenger of God. Galileo, an influential scientist, boldly challenged the church's long-standing geocentric teaching. He claimed that it was not the earth but the sun that was the center of the universe. Pope Urban VIII condemned Galileo and demanded him to recant; nonetheless, Galileo firmly believed in his new discovery and refused to surrender to the pope. As it is shown in Galileo's action, one can conclude that questioning the ideas of people in position of authority could benefit the human society. Did Galileo not stand out to forward heliocentric belief, ignorant people would still be trapped under the mistaken influence of the church.

Galileo's remark on the church was centuries ahead when French people began to question their king in rein. The French Revolution led the long term effect that it might exert on the whole nation. French people, suppressed by the extravagant and luxury monarchy for too long, finally roused up against their king Louis XVI. The king's sovereignty had always been believed to be unchallengeable yet people realized that they couldn't sustain themselves under the false rule of the king so they turned up against him. The decision the French people made was influential since they successfully turned over the tide that aristocracy and bourgeoisie would lead the rule. French society went forward after that move; therefore, questioning the authority may be a better way for the nation to proceed on.

As the conclusion can be drawn from the above examples, I believe in profundity that how important it is to question the person in position of authority. To better the society off, people need to watch over the decisions that their leaders are making. As soon as the erroneous, injustice and flawed ruling was made, people should have their say courageously and fearlessly to win over what is best for them.
mr_gourami 1 / 3  
if your looking to write about the position of authority, may I suggest stick to more revolutionary movements such as ghandi challenging the british authority or the civil rights movement challenging the authority of the US law.

your last sentence assumes that all authority will by nature make unjust laws. you also put forth ~half a case for people's rights and authority to watch over government. you made an argument as to why people should have a say but no solution, or how it should happen/work.

also the whole deal about the french. Society always goes on, no matter what the political climate is. I assume you mean society got better, more free, etc etc. but you don't say that, you just say forward. Be more direct with your wording.
However, it is always important for people to point out the misleading because sometimes society progresses when things are getting questioned. ----This is a good theme.

Now, you should check to see if each paragraph starts with a sentence that shows the truth of that theme.
The PARAGRAPH TOPIC SENTENCES should support the thesis sentence at the end of the first paragraph.

Also, don't say it this way: To better the society off, people need to watch over the decisions that their leaders are making. As soon as the erroneous, injustice and flaw

Society is better off when people watch over the decisions that their leaders are making. As soon as an erroneous, injustice unjust, or flawed ruling is made, people should have their say courageously and fearlessly to win over what is best for them.

Nice! I like the way you write.

Home / Writing Feedback / To better the society off, people need to watch over the decisions that their leaders are making.