It's better to try to be original than to merely imitate others - SAT essay

iggies 1 / 1  
Prompt 1

Think carefully about the issue presented in the following excerpt and the assignment below.

It is better to try to be original than to merely imitate others. People should always try to say, write, think, or create something new. There is little value in merely repeating what has been done before. People who merely copy or use the ideas and inventions of others, no matter how successful they may be, have never achieved anything significant.

Assignment:

Is it always better to be original than to imitate or use the ideas of others? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken from your reading, studies, experience, or observations.

My essay:

Originality is a great quality, but there is a negative side to this. When you need something accomplished fast, it is better to use someone else already thought out and working ideas. If not, the time it takes to prove or convince your idea will make it useless in the accomplishment. Many proofs of this ideas are cars, ice cream, and movies.

Cars are great examples of originality is not as good. Society has not tried to make a new vehicle to replaces the car. All they have done was enhance and improve the original car through design, speed, and safety. All of the new cars are still based and the fundamental of the first car. I have yet to see a new means of transportation.

Like cars and its enhancement, ice cream has never been reinvented. From the based flavors of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry, new creations have arose. After years of using the flavors, they have combined it to come up with crunch flavor, rocky road, and my favorite cookies and cream. They used the base of vanilla and chocolate to manufacture these new flavors.

Ice cream showed the base flavors being used, but movies are sure to convince you. The old time movies of batman, superman, or troy are nothing compared to the newer versions today. Movies come out every week and most are based on oldies or remakes of old film. These old stories combines with the new technologies and graphics, magnifies movies potential to portray exactly what was missing from old films. Better films ad movies come out today then those of times past.

As these examples of the car, ice cream, and movies show you the meaning of originality, one must slowly realize the truth. Originality is great in its time but these enhancements based of original ideas are better.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I've done some editing for you, see what you think:

Originality is a great quality, but there is a negative side. When you need something accomplished fast, it is better to use someone else's already thought-out and working ideas. If not, the time it takes to convince others or prove your idea will make it useless by the time you have accomplished it. Examples of this are cars, ice cream, and movies.

Cars are great examples of when originality is not as good. Society has not tried to make a new vehicle to replace the car. All they have done was enhance and improve the original car through design, speed, and safety. All of the new cars are still based on the fundamentals of the first car. I have yet to see a new means of transportation.

Like cars, ice cream has never been reinvented. From the basic flavors of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry, new creations have arisen. After years of using the flavors, they have combined them to come up with all kinds of flavors, like crunch, rocky road, and my favorite, cookies and cream. They used the base of vanilla and chocolate to manufacture these new flavors.

Movies are sure to convince you. The old time movies of batman, superman, or troy are nothing compared to the newer versions today. Movies come out every week and most are based on oldies or remakes of old films. These old stories combine with the new technologies and graphics, which magnifies movies' potential to portray exactly what was missing from the old films. As a result, better films and movies come out today than those of times past.

As these examples of the car, ice cream, and movies show you the meaning of originality, one must slowly realize the truth. Originality is great in its time but these enhancements based on original ideas are better.

Good job!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP iggies 1 / 1  
What score do you think my essay will be ?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I can't give you a number, because I am not privy to the scoring parameters used by the SAT graders. However, I think you have done an excellent job of answering the prompt, and with those few corrections I gave you, I think it should garner a good score. I felt your three examples were very creative!

Best of luck in your studies!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / It's better to try to be original than to merely imitate others - SAT essay