[TOEFL] Big company vs Small company

john6503 9 / 27  
Topic: It is better to work in a large company or a small company

Finding a right job is one of the most important decisions that people face in their lives because their jobs can determine their financial status, lifestyle and socialization with others. In relation to this phenomenon, the question has been arisen as to whether it is better to work in a large company or a small company. In my opinion, I strongly believe that working in a big company is beneficial for one because of its stability and skills that workers can learn from.

First of all, people can be secured with their jobs by working in a large cooperation. This is because most of the big companies are established with strong foundation that makes them less volatile than those of small companies when the nation's economy is gloomy. Not only that but, big companies may have gone through more experiences and know how to handle difficult situations more efficiently and coherently than small companies. For example, my brother, Charlie is computer designer who has been working in Apple for the last five years. However, he initially applied for a job in a small computer software company which he later changed his mind in consideration of job stability. In fact, that small software company he first applied for had gone into bankruptcy last year when global economy crisis occurred followed by U.S. mortgage crisis. This example illustrates that a big company can offer you a stable job.

Secondly, a large cooperation gives one the opportunities to pursue important business skills. It is common knowledge that most big companies have a variety of unique and progressive business techniques that enable them to outstand among others. Thus, people can be taught of those techniques by working in a big company. For instance, one of my best friends, James used to work at Mcdonald as a human resource manager. When he deiced to switch his job, his work experience in Mcdonald played a crucial role in writing his resume that he soon got hired by the company that he applied for. Like this, the person can benefit from a big company with their long practiced business techniques and knowledge.

In conclusion, although some people may prefer working in a small company for its family-like work environment and a faster promotion, I believe that working in a big company is a better choice not only because it provides job security, but also helps in expanding one's career.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------

Thanks for people who give advice in advance.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Content: Can you come up with a third reason for preferring big companies?

Grammar:
In relation to this phenomenon, the question has been arisen as to whether itThat being the case, is it better to work in a large company or a small company?

First of all, people can feel secure in their jobs by working in a large cooperation.

For example, my brother [omit comma] Charlie is a computer designer who has been working at Apple for the last five years.
-or-
For example, my brother [omit comma] Charlie is a computer designer who has been working for Apple for the last five years.

When he deiced to switch his job, his work experience in Mcdonald played a crucial role in writinglooked good on his resume, andthat he soon was hired by the company to which he applied .
Watch out for spelling mistakes even the best spellchecker won't catch:

"Secondly, a large corporation gives one the opportunities to develop important business skills."
OP john6503 9 / 27  
Thanks Simone and Sean for advice
I better stop using spellchecker but instead, find words on dictionary.
A spellchecker can be useful, but it can also lead to a certain amount of mental laziness, to repeat what I said recently on another thread. Ideally, you should proofread for spelling yourself first, then spellcheck to catch the errors you missed, so that you get into the habit of avoiding spelling errors without a computer to help you.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Proofreading carefully is the key. It's so easy to use "site" when you mean "cite" or "wright" when you mean "write," and spell checkers won't catch such errors. Some people proofread twice, the first time for content -- whether your sentences make sense, whether you are using the right words, whether your verb tenses are consistent, etc. -- and the second time for spelling and punctuation.

Home / Writing Feedback / [TOEFL] Big company vs Small company