Biometric - cost, reliability and public acceptance of fingerprint and iris

haval 1 / -  
Nowadays, corporation, banks and international security need a high system of security to protect their database and information from stealing or losing, this is done by some high developed technology by using human's nature body which called biometrics. The word biometric comes from old Greek words "bio" which means 'life' and "metric" means 'measurement'. According to International Standard Organization (ISO), biometric means "automated recognition of individuals on the basis of their physiological and behavioral characteristics" (Grey, 2013). Biometric system use measurement point in a unique way for individual identification. There are many types of biometric like fingerprints, iris, voice, DNA and so on. This argumentative essay will give a description of biometric and distinguish between two aspects of biometric which are fingerprints and iris. Even though, many people believe that iris is more preferable for identifying personal, I claim that fingerprint is more preferable than iris in the terms of cost, reliability and public acceptance.

Cost of fingerprint and iris:
Fingerprint Identification is the method of identification using the impressions made by the minute ridge realizations or patterns found on the fingertips. No two people have the same pattern of arrangement of ridge on their fingertips, every person separately remain unchanged pattern throughout their life. Further personal physical characteristics may change, but fingerprints do not. Finger print scanning is cheaper than iris scanning. Nowadays fingerprint is the most successful and preferable biometric because of its low cost (Anil K. Jain, Ajay Kumar, 2010) for example, the cost of fingerprint in 1994 was 3000$ after that the cost has decreased to 37$ at 2005.

However, iris recognition is one of the methods of biometric aspect which is used for identification and verification purposes in daily life. Iris scanning which is also a biometric aspect and use for individual identification is a more complex method with a high cost. Because of this reason people prefer to use fingerprint as a personal identifier. A new way for individual recognition is to use low coast equipment such as fingerprint (Prakash Chandra Srivastava1, Anupam Agrawal, Kamta Nath Mishra1, P. K. Ojha3, R. Garg4 2013). However, the cost of using a biometric system in an effective path is estimated from its direct and indirect factor and beneficial of the coast analysis is important and series for making a case (Anil K. Jain, Ajay Kumar, 2010)

Nevertheless, iris scanning is more expensive.

Reliability of fingerprint and iris:
Fingerprint is one of the accurate biometric (Jamieson, 2005) when a person try to enroll into the secure place the system will compare his arrangement of fingertip to exist one and match it if he is not the right one the system will ignore him because no two person have the same fingertip. Moreover, it is easy to use (Jamieson, 2005), a little times is required to enrollment to the fingerprint scanner system.

However, there are some people whom believe that iris is more preferable (Fletcher, 2012). As (McLaren, 2008) claims that fingerprint needs to physical contact with the scanner itself. For example it can't be used in some place like shipboard workers especially those who work on mechanical department because of grease or other petroleum built pollutants, it will effect on their arrangement of fingertip which this make challenge to reliability of fingerprint scanner while iris scanner can capture the iris image at a distance even with less physical contact at a distance up to 10 feet away.

Nevertheless, there is this problem, smart cards which similar in shape and size to credit cards are secure way to save their shape of fingertip to access without putting their finger on the scanner (Pettersson, 2001). For example, users transfer this card to the scanner or application site, where, instead of scanning their finger to camper it on the database or swiping an ID card, they insert the card and the computer scan their finger to verify the arrangement of their finger that stored on the card matches with the current user. That's mean hard work or contaminant has limited by using smart card.

Public acceptance of fingerprints and iris:
As the cost and reliability of finger print, people feel more comfortable with using fingerprint scanner because people are now more familiar for identification purposes. According to (Jamieson, 2005), finger print is generally accepted as a technology. Most people understand it is applicability to access control. Fingerprints are accepted from the majority because it is inexpensive and easy to install it and most fingerprints scanner are now very small and convenient, also, fingerprints is the only biometric which have been established in the US court system that is readily acknowledged in legal proceedings (Jamieson, 2005).
...to protect their database and information from theft or loss, stealing or losing, ... and this is done by some high developed with the use of technology by using the natural human body: biometrics. human's nature body which called biometrics.

Use the plural form here: No two people have the same pattern of arrangement of ridges on their ...

Use 'and' so that it is not a run-on sentence:
...fingertips, and every person separately maintains an unchanged pattern throughout their life.

Reliability of fingerprint and iris:
Fingerprint scanning is one of the accurate biometric (Jamieson, 2005) when a person try to enroll into ... This sentence is too long and confusing! I think you should separate it into some short, clear sentences. : )

...because people are now more familiar with its use for identification purposes. According to (Jamieson, 2005), finger print (scanning?) is generally accepted as a technology.

Great job citing sources in APA style!

Home / Writing Feedback / Biometric - cost, reliability and public acceptance of fingerprint and iris