A letter from Birmingham Jail- A Argument essay

Joeyson 7 / 15  
My job was to write a paper that applies to MLK's letter that reflects a current issue. Please give me as much feedback as possible.

Every immigrant man, women, or child has a story to tell, whether they travel alone or together, they have a reason to travel and start a new beginning. If a immigrant travels to America from a foreign country, they aren't always treated equally or fairly. Martin Luther King Jr. writes in his essay, "Letter from Birmingham Jail", about various topics regarding equality. Even though King writes about African-Americans and equal rights in America, he's writing about every person who is not welcomed in their country. He would have helped anyone in any country who was treated unfairly, "Had I lived in Germany at the time, I would have aided and comforted my Jewish brothers"(King 227). Immigrants face the same issue that King had to deal with during his time. There are five main issues that prevent immigrants from being accepted; equality, justice, oppression, freedom, and the advantages and disadvantages to allowing immigration.

Like King, immigrants coming to America want equal rights as all Americans do. That's the reason coming to America. There are other factors preventing them to become legal and have the same rights as Americans. Most of them come illegal which would cause them to apply for citizenship, this can take anywhere from a few months to a few years. Kin states in his letter "We have waited for more than 340 years for our constitutional and god-given rights" (King 224). This is entirely true for all immigrants. According to Brad Knickerbocker, of The Christian Science Monitor, there are roughly seven to twenty million illegal immigrants who live in America, none of who have equal rights as a legal American. About 52% of Americans think of immigrants as a burden to America by taking jobs and housing, and only 41% think immigrants "strengthen the US with their hard work and talents". Who knows how many years it will take for immigrants to gain equal rights like Americans. For all we know it could take another 340 years. Unlike equality, justice is another issue affecting immigrants eligibility to be accepted into society.

Justice is a serious matter that should be taken with great concern. This is the way King thinks, "one who breaks an unjust law must do so openly, lovingly, and with a willingness to accept the penalty"(King 226-227). Not only the immigration population or the negro population, but America as a whole. Anyone living within the country needs to understand that every action has a consequence. So if a white man commit's an act of burglary, he shall receive the same punishment as if a Hispanic or a African-American man commit's burglary. The law shouldn't bend for a person based on their skin color or ethnic background. Immigrants have done nothing but make a positive impact on America, "Everywhere immigrants have enriched and strengthened the fabric of American life"(John F. Kennedy). Justice alone can't ensure a immigrant to be accepted into society. Oppression affects many immigrants who have done nothing, only to receive an unjust punishment by a higher power.

Oppressed people are at the bottom of the priority list. Instead of charging forward they are forced to take a step back, and just let it happen. "Oppressed people cannot remain oppressed forever. The yearning for freedom eventually manifests itself"(King 230). What King means is that people being shoved down will eventually be empowered to get up and want to earn what they want. Oppression is a walk in the totally opposite direction as justice. That is why immigrants can't gain equality, because there is a little bit of justice and a whole lot of oppression. The oppressors are the ones who run this country, and the little amount of leaders that want justice, are overpowered. To overcome this issue of oppression is when one will finally gain their freedom.

America is built around freedom and having equal rights. This is why so many people immigrate to America, they want those freedoms, they need those freedoms. So many of us take advantage of the constitutional rights we have, and so many others strive to get them. "Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves"(Abraham Lincoln). Although I do agree with this, I believe that everyone deserves freedom, even if they refuse to share it. Freedom should be handed out like greeting cards. Everyone in the world should have the pleasure of experiencing freedom first hand. Freedom is a gift, and it needs to be shared.

There are many positive effects immigration has on America. Immigrants are hardworking and intelligent beings. They bring a rich culture to America with a friendly smile. That is what America is built off, Thousands of immigrants from many countries bring their ideas to one table. Different cultures is what makes all Americans similar. Immigrants also meet the demand for low paying jobs which are needed to keep prices lower, sadly but true. Another influence is that immigrants boost minimum wages for the vast majority of native workers and contribute more tax dollars to the government. These positive effects are good, but immigrants also bring a negative impact to America.

Sadly to say, but there are much more negative impacts on America than positive ones. One of the biggest debated issues is drug trafficking. Many drugs come from other countries that will do more harm than good. Other issues regarding immigration is diseases and increased crime. Crime is a huge problem within the white, black, and brown populations. There is no way of completely ridding crime from America. Many people believe that immigration rises the crime level in America, based on most of the people immigrating from other countries come from war torn environments. Another huge issue is the unemployment rate greatly rises. If all the jobs are going to the immigrants, then more people will be without, so therefore it also damages the economic status. Immigration requires sacrificing some of these things so that many more can experience what we have. The positive changes definitely overwhelm the negative impacts.

King and the negro population faced the same problem that immigrants face today. Five main ones which are; equality, justice, oppression, freedom, and the advantages and disadvantages to allowing immigration. Since 1924, the United States government has limited the amount of immigrants allowed in America. The fact is America is healthier, spacious, and richer than it was a century ago. Immigration has done nothing but make America a better living environment and a diverse culture. I believe we owe it to immigrants who have brought their cultures and hard work to share with our countrymen. Open the borders, let immigrants enrich our country even more, give them the freedom they desire.
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
If a immigrant travels to America from a foreign country, they aren't always treated equally or fairly. <keep it parallel>

Martin Luther King Jr. writes in his essay, "Letter from Birmingham Jail", about various topics regarding equality. <combine this with the next sentence> Even though King writes about African-Americans and equal rights in America, he's [also] writing about every person who is not welcomed in their country.

He would have helped anyone in any country who was treated unfairly, "Had I lived in Germany at the time, I would have aided and comforted my Jewish brothers"(King 227). <make sure your quotes flow well with the sentence. also, make sure whatever quotes you use, you substantiate on them and ask the "why am I using this" question to yourself.>

being accepted; equality, <use a colon, not a semicolon>

Comments: this intro is a tad long-winded, make sure you want everything there to lead into the question you set out to answer: how does King's letter address the struggles of current immigrants, especially those in the US today? <something along this lines, yea?>
Notoman 20 / 419  
There are five main issues that prevent immigrants from being accepted; equality, justice, oppression, freedom, and the advantages and disadvantages to allowing immigration.

This sentence, especially because it forms your thesis, needs to be stronger. You are saying that justice prevents immigrants from being accepted. Freedom prevents immigrants from being accepted. Equality prevents immigrants from being accepted. The disadvantages to allowing immigration prevents immigrants from being accepted as well as the advantages to allowing immigration keeps immigrants from being accepted. See the issue?
Negro is not a good word to use. It is not good to refer to men all the time either; be gender-inclusive if you want to write powerfully.

When you talk about King's mention of breaking a law openly... ah, I guess I recommend redoing that whole paragraph! It can't be fixed. Read King's section about civil disobedience, and then read Thoreau's writing about civil disobedience, and you will catch their meaning. It is not about the importance of justice. It's about peaceful resistance to oppression.

Home / Writing Feedback / A letter from Birmingham Jail- A Argument essay