TOEFL - books vs experience; which source of knowledge is more important?

tux543 1 / 1  
Hello all, I am preparing TOEFL test. Writing is always my weakness for a long time.
Really glad to find a forum like here which everyone dedicate to each other to improve English ability together.

knowledge gained from experience versus gained from books

TOPIC: It has been said, "Not everything that is learned is contained in books." Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

My Essay:

People are learning from both books and experience. However, which way of knowledge acquiring, books or experience, is more important is still under discussion. Some assume that books can give one more imagination and burden their mind. Another think that experience can get the know-how and practice directly. In my perspective, learning from life experience is more crucial than reading content on the books.

To begin with, there is an old saying that "Trusting all books is worse than no book". Books are not always accurate. Even the information were correct, it might be shift over into wrong and misleading information in the future through the advance of technology or in some situation. However, the experience happened on people are exactly how the real world works or suitable for his/her situation. For example, once I followed the receipt on the cooking book for making a dessert exactly. I didn't consider the difference between the equipment that the book used and the equipment I have, also, how the author's flavor behavior compare with mine. The result is, the dessert was totally failed. It was over baked and too sweet. What I learned by this experience is that, using books as a reference but do it with your own experience.

Furthermore, learning from experience memorized by body muscle rather than cramming the knowledge with the brain. Books give only words which only using one sense of feeling, visual. On the other hand, experience brings individuals more sense of feelings, such as smelling, touching, or listening. Those feelings have great impacts when people want to invoke their memories. Taking learning how to ride a bike for an example, children just cross on the bike and learn the know-how. Instead of reading the book of "how to ride a bike", most people learning through observation, feeling, and practice. Experience lots of falling down and stand up. Eventually, we all learned this skill and never forget it.

All in all, when it comes to learning, the knowledge gained from experience is way more vital than gained from books. It is more easily to call back memories to have a various sense of feelings, as well as the knowledge can be used in different conditions by learning from experience.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@tux543
Hello there.

Welcome to the forum. Let me try to help you with your essay.

First and foremost, I think that you can work on the structure of your essay better. You have a tendency to ramble and lengthen your sentences unnecessary. This puts strain on the outlook of your content, making it seem as though it's exhausting to read. While complexity is generally good, not using the right techniques in crafting a sentence like this can be dragging.

Secondly, always use appropriate forms of words when you are writing. Remember to write with consistency in your tone and forms. This will help you establish a more concrete

Additionally, remember that you should always be cautious of your use of punctuation and preposition. These two things are often misused, so it's always helpful to refer back to your reference materials when you are writing.

Let's revise a portion of your essay to give you an example.

People are learning from both books and experiences. However, which way of acquiring knowledge acquiring, books or experience, is more important is still under discussion. ... books can give one more ... mind be burdensome. Another, whereas others think that experience can get the ... directly lets you directly be exposed to practices. ..., learning from life through experience is ... content on the books.

Always evade the usage of repetitive words; this will not help you in the long-run. Because the subject at hand, reading and basing off from experience, were both aforementioned already, there's no need to continuously repeat them.

Best of luck as always.
OP tux543 1 / 1  
@Maria

Hi, Maria

I appreciate your advises! Those advises really help me a lot!
I practiced writing on my own, so I didn't have a chance to get such great advises to improve myself.
I will revise this essay again. Thank you!

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL - books vs experience; which source of knowledge is more important?