Books on online platforms or traditional, paper books (ielts essay)

hgthng1010 1 / -  
Task 2: In the future, nobody will buy printed newspapers or books because they will be able to read everything they want without paying. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

paper books vs reading on online platforms

With the advent of technology, almost everything these days is available online including books. It is stated that paper editions will no longer be in anyone's interest assuming that people will have free access to any reading source in the future. From my perspective, although online papers do wonders to the reading market, I firmly believe that there are several unique features of paper books that cannot be replaced.

On the one hand, the emergence of e-books or any sorts of online reading saves a great deal of time, space and money to read. To commence with, when read online, no cost is required for paper production, manufacturing and delivery services. Therefore, reading online helps save readers' money for these processes, not to mention the effects towards the environment by not exploiting wood and using fossil fuels for production and shipping. Another rationale proving that reading online is a great invention is that people can literally read almost anywhere they want owing to the portable size of technological devices used for online reading. Instead of carrying kilograms of paper books or magazines to schools, libraries and so on, online readers can update the news or read their unfinished novel on their screens. This enables them to read even on the bus, train or in the park without having to carry a thousand-page book in their hands.

On the other hand, great as online reading may be, printed editions cannot be altered due to the sense it brings to a great many people and its impacts on human's vision compared to online reading. The first key factor is that a multitude of readers prefer buying books not only because they collect the pieces they have read for fun or that they want to see their progress but they also enjoy the paper's smell and the realistic feel of touching the books. To exemplify, a great many people find it harder to concentrate on reading online since they are not used to scrolling the screen to keep track of their reading as well as that they prefer the woody scent of paper, which excites them whenever they purchase a new book. Moreover, for some people, blue lights from screens can make their eyes tired more quickly than when they use paper, resulting in common eye diseases such as short-sighted or dry eyes.

To encapsulate, although reading on online platforms is beneficial in some ways, paper books still have irreplaceable impact on many readers.
The essay properly responded to the discussion question. It created a very strong restatement and personal opinion. The personal opinion is based strongly on the writer's discussion ideas that the examiner would have expected to read about in the discussion paragraphs. However, the writer failed to defend his opinion based on measured responses in the discussion format. The strong single opinion train was derailed by the comaparative discussion presentation that succeeded it.

Now, a comparative discussion would have been a great way to discuss this essay if the presentation paragraph worked hard to use the opposing reason to strengthen the writer's opinion. For instance. He could have said:

While I agree that... I have to strongly disagree with this belief to the extent that....

In addition, when people say... they fail to consider... Hence I solidly disapprove of this point of view because....

By using the aforementioned manner, a proper measured response discussion is presented. The important aspect of this discussion is to disprove a public opinion that the writer agrees with, but not totally for some reason. That way the essay single opinion based and supportive of the thesis opinion / statement.

He seems to have also forgotten that the summary conclusion needs to be represented in at least 2 sentences. The current presentation does not meet the correct reverse paraphrase requirements for the conclusion. So it will not help his TA score in the end.

Home / Writing Feedback / Books on online platforms or traditional, paper books (ielts essay)