PERSONAL ESSAY what books and reading mean to me

hannahkim91 4 / 10  
1. you must demonstrate an understanding of the personal essay as a literary form
2. You must demonstrate creativity and thoughtfulness in your writing
3. You must demonstrate an ability to write clearly and effectively

can someone please help me edit this. This is just the beginning of it.

Johann Sebastian Bach, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Ludwig van Beethoven are beautiful composers, expressing their feelings down on paper with lively staccatos, deep forte notes or with a slow yet curious tempo. Starting at a young age, I grew to love reading the emotions of the composer rather than reading school books.

At age 9, I walked into my first piano lesson. I was nervous and unsure of what I was getting myself into. I walked in, greeted the teacher and sat nervously on the bench with my hands tied, folded in my lap. I took deep breaths then closed my eyes, and when I was ready to give up, I heard a friendly tune, "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." I saw my teachers fingers move from one note to the next, creating music. I was amazed. I practiced every day after school just playing page after page. I increased my reading skills and was able to feel the music the composer was expressing in each song.

In sixth grade, I turned to the first page of Magic Tree House, but only for pride. Everyone in my class was reading it; however, that magic spark wasn't as strongly lit for me. I enjoyed the books, and didn't mind reading adventurous style of writing, yet music would always cross my mind.

As years passed by, playing the piano was no longer my first choice. When I got bored, watching a movie or reading information on the website was more of my interest. On a rainy afternoon, I was searching the web and came across a page titled "Top 50 Best Sellers." I read the reviews and decided to pick up the number one best seller "Twilight," and I began to read it. I started off with a couple pages, then pages turned to chapters, and before I knew it, I was finished the book. I just could not put the book down. I could relate to this book in so many ways through my life and my peers, excluding the vampire part. I thought the way Stephanie Meyer wrote the book was really imaginative and artistic. It was an eye opener for me. I found out that authors create stories that relate to everyday situations and try to get the best of the reader's interest. After finishing this book, I continued with the series and many other books that had fascinating plots. I have found another adventurous path to get lost in, when I was not occupied.

Knowing I will soon enter into the life of a University student; if I get accepted that is. I have been thinking about giving up music and just focusing on reading more novels and studying until my brain gave out burning sensations. On that note, I stopped taking lessons during the eleventh grade. I practiced at home for fun, and just kept getting lost in variety of writings. Unsurprisingly, I could not resist the wonderful emotion of letting my feelings dance out of my fingers, and had to get back into reading notes and playing compositions.

Reading novels and stepping back has helped me realize how to handle current situations and be more creative through my own works. In the end, I still prefer reading music more than reading books. Each piece has its own story, as do books. As people could find their own "home" in books, I have both the opportunity to read and express myself through playing pieces of various composers. Reading is great, but reading on the musical side just has more of my interest.

---------------------------------------------
I prefer reading music rather than reading books. As people could find their own place in books, I have the opportunity to read and express myself through playing music. Each piece has its own story, as do books. Reading is great, but reading on the musical side is just more of my interest.
SeanMasih 2 / 5  
As a fellow musician and pianist I enjoyed the beginning of your paper. If I am not mistaken, was your thesis how music affected you?

Also, did you really want to put writer here:

...Ludwig van Beethoven are beautiful writers, expressing...

could you replace that with composers perhaps?
At age 9, I walked into my first piano lesson. I was nervous and unsure of what I was getting myself into. I walked in, greeted the teacher and sat nervously on the bench with my hands tied, folded in my lap. I took deep breaths , ready to give up as I closed my eyes, when suddenly I heard a friendly tune, "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." I saw my teachers fingers move from ...

This is great! I changed the verb tense to make it consistently past tense.

The thing is, though, you have to make this description of your music an example to show how you understand writing. Have you looked up "essay" on the internet to see how it developed as a literary form? Read about that, and bring the focus of THIS essay back to the topic questions. Show that, through music, you understand essays.
OP hannahkim91 4 / 10  
thank you.
im just fixing it up right now.
ill post my finished copy and hopefully you'll have time to edit it again : ) thank youuuuu
Knowing I will soon enter into the life of a University student -- if I get accepted, that is -- I have been thinking about giving up music and just focusing on reading more novels and studying until my brain gave out burning sensations.

Don't give up music!

Okay, good. When I look at the end and at the beginning, they are both talking about a preference for music. That means the essay is solid, cohesive. You can make it even better if, at the end, you refer back to something you said at the beginning.

Home / Writing Feedback / PERSONAL ESSAY what books and reading mean to me