TOEFL - should boys and girls learn in separate classrooms?

zailn 6 / 16  
Hello all, I have written a new essay again. Please do comment, thank you!
And do you know what is the best word count for a TOEFL essay? There are so many comments on the Internet that I don't really know who to trust...:S

--------------
Question:
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
Boys and girls should be educated in separate classrooms using different teaching techniques.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer
--------------

As our world becomes more sophisticated, education is generally available to both genders all around the world; you may attend single-sex or co-educational colleges. While some believe that students should be educated with different instructing methods according to their gender, I disagree with this point of view with the following reasons.

Firstly, boys and girls have a different set of thinking methods, so by staying in the same class, they can learn from each other's thinking skills and thus improve their own critical thinking methods.

The different set of thinking methods is generally believed to originate from the different toys boys and girls play with at an early age. Boys as infants usually play with logos, robots, or things that have to do with logic, while young girls usually play with toys like barbie dolls, which are things that are more related to arts and emotions. Naturally this is one of the reasons why boys and girls think in different directions when they grow up. If they are allowed to learn in the same class, because they have different thinking strategies, when they come together and share their ideas, their academic results are generally better. For example, in the place I live in, co-educational schools usually yield a higher overall grade than single-sex schools. There are also more students in a co-educational school who gets more 'A's.

Moreover, boys and girls need to be taught in the same classroom for practical reasons. When students finish their studies, eventually they need to join the workforce. In a working place, no matter an office, a social service centre or a business firm, one often works with the opposite gender. If one is not used to discussing ideas with the other gender at an early age, I am afraid that it is even harder for the person to adapt to different thinking modes as he or she joins the working community. Therefore it is necessary for boys and girls to learn in the same classroom.

I also object to the point that boys and girls should be educated using different teaching techniques. While it is generally viewed that boys are more logic-oriented while girls are more emotionally attached, it does not necessarily mean that all boys are better in logical thinking. There are many girls who are good at mathematics or logically-related subjects, as exmplified by numerous famous female scientists like Madam Curie, while there are many men who are emotionally oriented, as examplified by many famous musicians like Chopin, a Poland composer. Therefore teaching techniques should not be differentiated through gender, but by something else, like intelligence, personalities, and academic results.

To conclude, boys and girls do not need to be educated in separate classrooms, because only when they stay in the classrooms will more ideas come out and will they be more adapted to the society they are joining in the future. Moreover, teaching techniques should not be classified by gender, by rather by other traits, bceause whether you are a boy or a girl does not really imply that you belong to a certain learning type. Thus the same teaching technique may not be applicable to all people with the same sex.
While some believe that students should be educated with different instructing methods according to their gender, I disagree with this point of view with thedue to following reasons.

Firstly , boys and girls have a different set of thinking methodspatterns., so Therfore, by staying in the same classstudying together in the same class room , they can learn from each other's thinking skills and thus improve their own critical thinking methods.

In my view, co-educational system provides both genders an opportunity to understand and respect each other better. This would help create a better society by discouraging gender discrimination.
hambim336 - / 2  
Hi

You can find this info by using search box in the top of website with some keywords related before posting questions.
bronzeB - / 3  
I believe they can learn lessons together. They don't need separate classrooms.
Coolmam9x 4 / 6  
In the first reason, can you be more specific? You said that there are more students in co-educational school get more 'A', so can you show real evidence, statistical number? I thought you just make up that example. That is ok, but it is better to be more specific.
You did a great job with this essay.

I think this sentence should be revised, though:
I believe education is the most important social issue, because it affects all other issues. -----You can revise this sentence so that it expresses an idea that supports the MAIN IDEA of the essay. Do you know what I mean? The PARAGRAPH TOPIC SENTENCE should express an idea that shows how true your thesis statement is.

Moreover, teaching techniques should not be classified by gender, but rather by other traits, because whether you are a boy or a girl does not really imply that you belong to a certain learning type.---I made a small change here.

:-)
word count for a TOEFL essay

I guess the safest approach is to do a 5 paragraph essay. Give each paragraph about 100 words.
The first para will give your argument. The next three paragraphs will each begin with a PARAGRAPH TOPIC SENTENCE that tells a reason why your argument is correct. The fifth paragraph summarizes your argument and concludes with some interesting, final thought.
yoyott 3 / 6  
I think seperation of the two genders in the educational field will not help them learn of the real world where they have to compete work with so any people men and women. As for your essay it is good you need to back up your ideas it will make your essay much stronger and seem more confident.

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL - should boys and girls learn in separate classrooms?