The breakdown of the figures of commodities which were transported by various vehicles in the UK

doda22 2 / 1  

number of goods transported in the united kingdom

The graph below shows the quantities of goods transported in the UK between 1974 and 2002 by four different modes of transport

The line graph provides the breakdown of the figures of commodities which were transported by various vehicles in the UK over the period of 28 years, commencing from 1974. Generally speaking, it can be seen from the chart such modes as road and water were put on agenda, while individuals, showed less interest in others.

To specify, as can be observed from the statistics, initially in 1974, more than 70 million tonnes of products were transported via road while water and rail shared the nearly same amount of goods, approximately 40 million tonnes. The least quantity of goods transported by pipeline started at a negligible point in the same year. The next 20 years were noticing fluctuation before experiencing a substantial increase, at roughly 90 million tonnes by road, then it reached the high at about 100 million tonnes. It is interesting to note that the same trend was true for both water and rail goods carrying. Water shipping had distributed about 62 million tonnes by 2002. Although the figure of goods carried through rail was falling significantly to 30 million tonnes from 1974 to 1994, it bouced back to approximately 42 million tonnes in 2002

Finally, there was a substantial growth in the amount of goods transported by pipeline, between 1974 to 1994, to roughly 22 million tonnes, then this figure was levelling off from 1994 to 2002

lipolipo 2 / 2 1  
Nice essay!

I've found a few points to be improved.

while individuals, showed

Generally speaking, it can be seen from ...

-> From this sentence, did you mean that road and water were important modes compared to others? I doubt that the expression 'be put on agenda' is proper in this context.

... pipeline, between 1974 to 1994 1990
Do, in order to get the highest scoring consideration for your analytical report in a Task 1 essay, you need to present 4 paragraphs composed of 3-5 sentences each. You currently have a second paragraph that fails in the formatting department and becomes very confusing to read because of the compressed information in the given paragraph. In addition to that, you created a secondary trending statement within that paragraph. There can only be one concise trending statement in the essay. It can be a part of any paragraph or a stand alone paragraph. The only limitation is that is has to be one paragraph.

Your summary overview is incomplete and does not offer the appropriate summary information from the graph. It should have been written as:

An analysis of a line graph has been provided for this task. The graph measures the amount of goods transported in the UK covering the years of 1974 up to 2002. The measurements are given in the million tonnes. The transportation methods indicated are road, water, rail, and pipeline. This essay shall analyze the major graph points and compare certain points when required.

Your discussion for the water and rail presentations would have been better presented if you had combined its information presentation into one paragraph because of the intersecting measurement points. Those intersecting points are the "relevant comparisons" that could help to boost your score. While it is important to report on the obvious points, looking for small comparison points that could be overlooked in the first reading help to show that you have a clear analytical method of approaching report writing which can help to increase the TA consideration for your essay.

This is a good effort at Task 1 writing. You have room to improve from hereon. I hope to see your improvements over the time you are participating at this forum.

Home / Writing Feedback / The breakdown of the figures of commodities which were transported by various vehicles in the UK