"BUY NOTHING DAY" -- More often that once each year.

ksimms 1 / 1  
Buy Nothing Day is observed around the world each November. In honor of the holiday, you will take an entire day off from purchasing anything. The purpose of this holiday is to make people aware of how much they consume (and waste) on a daily basis. We, especially those of us who live in wealthy areas of North America, Europe, and Australia, are constantly buying, consuming, and throwing away. This not only wastes money, it also wastes natural resources.

The day after Buy Nothing Day, write about how you feel. Was it difficult for you to abstain from buying for a day? Easy? Has it changed the way you feel about consumerism and consumption? Write a few paragraphs about how your outlook might change if we all celebrated Buy Nothing Day every month or every week instead of once a year
KateFollot 1 / 1  
Go to it; write!
It's a pretty easy prompt.
OP ksimms 1 / 1  
im am just really having trouble on what to write. any help on starters?
amrosca 4 / 130  
The essay prompt gives you a pretty neat suggestion: celebrate your own Demo of Buy Nothing Day. ;D Perhaps then you might be able to say: "Yeah, for me it was easy/difficult, but thinking about others ..."

I don't know if this is really going to help, but I usually start by writing down anything that goes through my mind when I read such a thing. Nothing too long, perhaps one or two paragraphs. It doesn't have to be either formal or correct. You get to polish it after.

You might first of all question the benefits of this Buy Nothing Day on the long run. Is this going to help us realise that we spend too much? If so, the simple revelation that we overspend won't suffice to change the world for the better. How can this actually turn into a concrete solution to our greedy and most of the time unthoughtful wasting of money? How about going outside to buy things and donating them afterwards? Or how about instead of buying anything at all you go and do something useful for your community?

Hm, I guess it is you who will have to come up with the best idea :D Good luck!
Buy Nothing Day is observed around the world each November. In honor of the holiday, you will take an entire day off from purchasing anything. The purpose of this holiday is to ...----Wow, I bet the retailers do not like this holiday! :-)

I think it is better like this:
This not only wastes money but also wastes natural resources.

The day after Buy Nothing Day, write about how you feel. Was it difficult for you to abstain from buying for a day?---Oh, ha ha! I was correcting the prompt. I do that all the time!

Thanks, Ana and Kate! Great advice...

Home / Writing Feedback / "BUY NOTHING DAY" -- More often that once each year.