IELTS writing task 2 - Not buying printed newspaper or books

leonfermi 1 / 3  
Cambridge IELTS 15 Test 2 Writing Task 2:
In the future, nobody will buy printed newspapers or books because they will be able to read everything they want online without paying.

To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

In this digital world, many presses and publishers have jumped on the bandwagon of electronic commerce and many people have changed their reading habits due to the prevalence of online newspapers and books. However, I believe that it is ridiculous to say that everybody will stop purchasing printed materials and that readers will be able to read everything online for free.

It could be argued that when news and books can be accessed online, people may stop buying them from newspaper stands and bookstores. However, this obviously omits many other situations that people would buy printed newspapers and books. First, individual collectors, private and public libraries, and educational institutions may still need to order newspapers and books for personal, community, and teaching purposes. Even when these demands are gone in the distant future, some parents may still purchase board books for their children due to health concern, some sight-hindered readers may still need Braille materials, and believers may still have a predilection for printed Bible, whose sales volume has not receded since it was first offered on the Internet decades ago.

Even if all newspapers and books are digitalized and everyone turns to online reading, it will not be an everything-for-free world in the future. After all, producing online news and stories, like publishing them in the traditional way, also costs money. If we look into news agencies, such as Wall Street Journal and many alike, they have already adopted a paying scheme to charge online readers. Only with this sustainable income can these companies produce quality reports to keep their business running. This also applies to publishers, who now offer their books on platforms, such as Amazon and Apple Store, for a reduced price but not for free. I believe that future readers will not get free access to published books either, as it is unsustainable for publishers to offer their content for nothing.

In the future, people still have different incentives to buy printed newspapers and books and companies need the revenue from online sales to operate, so I find the idea absurd that everyone will convert to reading online where they can find free content.

You have not properly restated the original prompt as required by the task. You will receive a failed over all score due to the improper discussion format, lack of opinion based on the prompt requirement, and other considerations. The first 2 errors, are already enough to prevent you from getting a baseline passing score. When you are asked "to what extent", that means you need to qualify your response based on a degree of dis/agreement. The correct response format has nothing to do with absurdity or the ridiculousness of the discussion, it has to do with :

- I agree with this statement to the extent that...
- Based on my personal knowledge, I will have to fully disagree with this proposal since...

To name but a few more appropriate measured response presentations for the prompt restatement / response to the prompt discussion instruction.
RAJVEERSODHI 2 / 6 4  
Hi Leon, I personally believe you have done a great job at writing this essay. While I can't tell you it is perfect, it certainly shows a much stronger command of the English language than what a majority of writing tasks show. Kudos for that.

However, I do have some feedback. Your second paragraph brings up brilliant points - the one about braille particularly was rather impressive and is unlikely to have been mentioned by many other students. Still, I feel your sentences could be made more concise, so as to pitch your views more firmly. The ideas in the paragraph also seem to be muddled up. I suggest going through it once and reorganizing the same.

Further, in the third paragraph, I feel you go rather off-topic, trying to disprove the situation in the prompt itself. The prompt deals with people not buying physical books under the assumption that books would be online and free. The first part of it is the one to be discussed, not the second. You, I think, have done the latter. This could be a point you mention in maybe a line, but certainly cannot be a whole paragraph/one entire point in your essay.

Hope this helped, and best of luck!
OP leonfermi 1 / 3  
Thanks, Holt. I see your point. I'll work on it.
OP leonfermi 1 / 3  
Hi, Holt, I have made some correction. Could you please take a look to see if this one is better? Thanks a million.

Second draft:
Referring to the ever-increasing availability of online newspapers and books, it is reasonable to predict that more and more people will abandon purchasing printed ones in the future. However, I completely disagree with the claim in question, as free online materials do not necessarily lead everybody to stop buying printed papers and books and the reason given in the statement is not sound either.

People may stop buying newspapers or books when they can be accessed online in that electronic ones can be easily stored in a single device and afford better portability. However, this obviously omits many other situations that people would buy printed newspapers and books. First and foremost, individual collectors, private and public libraries, and educational institutions may still need to order newspapers and books for personal, community, and teaching purposes. Meanwhile, some parents may still purchase board books for their children due to health concern, some sight-hindered readers may still need Braille materials, and believers may still have a predilection for printed Bible, whose sales volume has not receded since people can read it on the Internet decades ago. (Are these reasons and evidence a bit too compact? Better cut down a few and extend them a bit more?)

Even if all newspapers and books are digitalized and everyone would turn to online reading, it will not be an everything-for-free world in the future. After all, producing online news and stories, like publishing them in the traditional way, also costs money. If we look into news agencies, such as Wall Street Journal and many alike, they have already adopted a paying scheme to charge online readers. Only with this sustainable income can these companies produce quality reports to keep their business running. This also applies to publishers, who now offer their books on various platforms, such as Amazon and Apple Store, for a reduced price but not for free. In all likelihood, it is impossible for future readers to get free access to everything online, as it is unsustainable for news and book companies to offer their content for nothing.

In conclusion, future readers will still have different incentives to buy printed newspapers and books, and companies need the revenue from online sales to operate. Therefore, I do not agree with the idea that in the future, everyone will convert to reading online because everything online will be free.
OP leonfermi 1 / 3  
@RAJVEERSODHI
Thanks for your feedback. Actually, in paragraph 3, what I tried to do is to refute the reason given in the statement, as this assumption, in my opinion, is not sound at all. Based on the current situation that some online newspapers and electronic books are charged, I don't believe that in the future everything online will be free. I assume that it is possible to refute this point as it proves that I can more fully cover the question to get a Band 8 or 9 for Task Response. Do you think so?

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS writing task 2 - Not buying printed newspaper or books