Essay on a carpe diem quote

icemaster2340 14 / 34  
Write about how a quote reflects the idea of carpe diem (seize the day) or how you feel about it. NO limitations.

The quote i chose was:
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, But today, is a gift. That's why it is called "the present".

some of you might actually recgonize this quote from Kungfu Panda but it is actually by Eleanor Roosevelt.

TODAY IS THE DAY.

Imagine that you had a bad day at work. Your boss is mad at you, you missed the deadline for a huge project, and the worst thing is, you have no idea what cruel punishments is waiting for you tomorrow. But all these things are the past, or the future, which does not matter nearly as much as today or the present, does.

Yesterday is but the history. It is the past. One should never dwell on the past for too long. Dwelling too long on the past can let us lose sight of what is in front of you. Just as when you walk on the street, you don't always look behind your shoulder all the time. However, one should never ignore the past either. We always need to learn from our past mistakes and failings. As one of my teachers use to quote "To err is human. To make the same mistake twice is foolish."

Tomorrow is a mystery. Trying to predict tomorrow is like trying to read your fortune. You'll never know if you are right or wrong, until tomorrow arrives. However, just like the past, one should never ignore tomorrow either. That's why we always try to plan ahead so that surprises do not come crashing into you like a truck at 180 miles an hour. However, it is today that we should focus on.

Today is like a gift. A gift sent from heaven. No matter what mistakes you made in the past, you still have today to compensate for it. The time that we wasted and the time that we might be wasting is not important. Try not to waste the time that we have now.

What we did and what we might do is not important. You can do what you need to do now.

In short, we should carpe diem or seize the day. Today is a chance and an opportunity given to us 24/7 as long as we are alive. It is a precious gift. That's why it is called "the present."

i just need someone to refine this a little and help me with the intro and conclusion.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
You do a very good job of explicating the quote, but spend very little time explaining how it relates to "carpe diem." Expand that part.
Yeah, that shouldn't be too difficult for you. We should seize today because we cannot change yesterday or predict tomorrow. Today is therefore all we really have to hold on to. Say that, or something like it, in your introduction, and tie it clearly into the quote. That will get you closer to where you want to be.

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay on a carpe diem quote