CAUSES OF LOW PASS RATE OF PROFICIENCY EXAM

kbektas 3 / 7 3  
I am a preparatory student from Turkey. I will have proficiency exam in august. I am waiting your advises for that.

Proficiency is one of the biggest blocks for the students who want to start their license courses.Boğaziçi University has the most difficult proficiency exam in Turkey. Every year, more than fifty percent of students can't manage to pass it.Therefore, there must be critical problems about students' effort or capacity, test and education system.

Boğaziçi University is the choice of the most successful students at YGS-LYS , but they have hard times in preparatory class and exams.I think there are two reasons of that: not working enough and english education level of their high school. Students studying non-stop for YGS-LYS need a long holiday after that. Most of them consider prepatory class as an opportunity for it, yet Boğaziçi is not right choice for that. Most highs chools don't care english level so much while preparing students for LYS success. Hence, students graduate from high school with low english level. Passing proficiency is too difficult for those starting as beginner.

Education system of preparatory classes must be maintained for higher pass rate. Number of native teachers isn't enough for a university whose education language is English. Besides, lack of teaching experience may be a reason for this failure rate. Teachers must be capable of improving students to pass proficiency. Also YADYOK's course resources aren't good enough to improve us. Most of students, especially lower levels, need extra books to reach better levels.

The system of proficiency exam is challenging for most of us. Altough all of class exercises are parallel with the type of exam questions, students aren't happy about the system of proficiency. Noone can say easy for an exam lasting five hours. Writing is the most difficult part of the exam. Writing two essays in eighty minutes about freaky topics like general pardons is a nightmare for science students. YADYOK should find another way to test our writing skills.

Proficiency is harder than it should be and student's aren't happy with that. Such a low pass rate is not acceptable. YADYOK must maintain test and education system and students must work harder for success.
niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
Passing proficiency is too difficult for those starting as beginners .
The n umber of native teachers isn't enough for a university whose education language is English.

Altough

Alth ough

I just suggest you to mention the main causes in the intro, and then expound them in the next paras by giving examples. It is very important to point out what your topic is all about in the very start,so we will know what we will expect from it.

Good luck:)
OP kbektas 3 / 7 3  
I just suggest you to mention the main causes in the intro

there must be critical problems about students' effort or capacity, test and education system.
isn't that enough?
lovemylife 1 / 2  
Your ideas are good and it would be easier to follow if it was more organized and added more transition words.
For example
+ Intro: ...there are three main causes for this phenomenon
+ body:
- firstly, the inadequate preparation of students is the primary reason. >> + supporting ideas+ examples+ a short brief
- secondly, another reason that has added fuels to the fire is the lack of necessary facilities and professional teachers>> + supporting ideas+ examples+ a short brief

- Finally, it is intolerable exam systems leading to the low pass rate.>> + supporting ideas+ examples+ a short brief
+ in conclusion, ...

Home / Writing Feedback / CAUSES OF LOW PASS RATE OF PROFICIENCY EXAM