CBEST. Television encourage or discourage learning - or does it do both depends on circumstances?

Aid1 2 / 4  
Hi everyone. This is my first time to post in here so I hope that someone will review my essay. I want you to know that english is my second lenguage before you start laughing at my mistakes and I hope that you will point them out so I could improve my writing since my test is in 2 weeks.

Television encourage or discourage learning. Or does it do both depends on circumstances?

Television effects on learning

The issue of television having positive or negative effects on learning is a controversial one. Some believe the television encourages learning through different educational channels and shows. Others believe the television discourages learning because the primary purpose of it is to entertain. After careful taught, I believe the television has a positive effect on learning because it informs, inspires and educates.

One reason for this belief is that TV informs us. Nowadays, when at least one TV is present in every house, it is very easy to be informed about current happenings all around the world. Just by watching news, we can learn about current events in politics, sports, economy, about the weather and natural catastrophes.

Another reason for this believe is inspiration that we can receive by watching this "magical box." Television can inspire and give different ideas to children and adults. Depends on the show that is being watched, TV can positively inspire every individual. By watching a cartoon a child can be inspired to be just as brave, polite, smart and helpful as his favorite character. An adult can be inspired with different kinds of ideas. For example, a person can decide what to cook for dinner, just by watching cooking channels.

The best reason for this belief is education. Children can learn their first words, colors, numbers, letters and shapes by watching educational shows. For some teenagers and students, it is easier to have a better understanding off of a matter if they visualize it. For example, students would learn better about historical events such as World War One, if they see a movie about it rather than just read about it.

In the final analysis, television is a tool that is available to many. With choosing the right channel and show one can learn, be inspired and educated. Let's not take it for granted!
Aida, I can sense that you are very sensitive about your grasp of the English language. Please don't be like that. We are not here to laugh at you nor judge you. However, if you are so hyper sensitive that we cannot even point out your mistakes in order to help you improve, then you should not have come here to begin with. We are going to point out your mistakes in a helpful manner. If you take it as otherwise, then how do you expect to improve before you take the test?

For example, when I point out to you that your English vocabulary is weak because you do not understand that "taught" means "to teach" and "thought" means "to think", would you be offended and think I am making fun of you? My apologies but that is not my intention. It is however, my intention to point out the weakness of your English vocabulary usage so take that observation as you will.

In addition to that, will you angry because I am going to say that this essay will not score higher than a 2 because of the scattered line of thinking, uneven defense of your reasons, and simplistic presentation? Again, don't be hyper sensitive, that is the truth about your writing and that is how it will be graded by the actual examiner. We are here to present you with your points for improvement. However, if you are too sensitive about being ESL, then you may find it difficult to improve even though we wish to help you do that.
OP Aid1 2 / 4  
Thank you so much for reviewing my essay. However, when I said, " before you start laughing..." I didn't mean to show my sensitivity. I am not a sensitive person and I take criticisms well. So, go ahead and be free to point my mistakes because that way I learn the best. I am working on my personal essay. I will post it soon. I hope you will have time to review it. Let's see am I any better with narrative one.
OP Aid1 2 / 4  
Hi. I had my exam and I passed with 39. Thank you for reviewing my essay once again. I believe that I didn't write as well as I did here on forum and still, I passed. I think that you are too strict in grading our essays,but that helped me work harder and perform better. I hope it will be helpful to everyone as it was helpful to me. To all test takers, wish a lots of luck.

Home / Writing Feedback / CBEST. Television encourage or discourage learning - or does it do both depends on circumstances?