Cell Phones In Classrooms? This is not good idea.

SharonHuang 1 / -  

the drawbacks of cellphone usage outweighs the advantages

Using cellphones in the class can lead to three negative impacts. The primary concern about this is cellphone usage, as a learning tool, could be generally misused by students. While a text or message pops up through the lesson, most students can't resist the urge to check their phones immediately. Meanwhile, distractions arise when students are juggling multitasking. In fact, a study has shown that engaging in multitasking during courses adversely affected the absorption of new things (Chen & Yan, 2016). Without a solid comprehension of learning, the second threat for cellphone usage in the class has serious consequences when it comes to poor academic performance. According to a recent study in Educational Psychology, students with cellphones in the class scored 5% lower on exams than those who weren't (Glass et al., 2019). Nevertheless, the effect of cellphone misusing behaviors is more than personal issues. Teachers often battle with students' devices while delivering lectures. If one's cellphone keeps ringing in the class, the teacher must force the student to turn off the device, which interrupts the whole class as well as tends to break the classroom discipline. To sum up, using cellphones in the class may sometimes bring the convenience, but once you scrutinize the drawbacks of cellphone usage, there is no doubt that it outweighs the advantages.
I am not sure about how to approach the review for this statement. Is it in response to an IELTS Task 2 essay prompt? Was this written as an English writing exercise? Perhaps as a short research paper? I am not sure about the purpose for the writing, which is making it difficult for me to assess your work. Based on the content, I will review this as a short research paper instead. Since you referred to paraphrased sources in the essay, that is the most logical review to use.

The research itself is too short to be an effective look at the results of allowing cellphone usage in the classrooms. The premise is not thoroughly developed and the thesis statement presentation needs work. The overall presentation is not well explained either. Simply including citation sources in the presentation, but not including an expanded discussion or opinion within the presentation prevents the essay from being truly informative and showing that you actually took the time to analyze the data presentation.

The presentation needs to be divided into paragraphs in order to give the reader a real sense of the discussion being presented. It would have also allowed you to present a more detailed explanation, opinion, and a variety of citation styles within the paper. All of which could have added to the clarity and quality of the discussion presentation. Based on the provided information, I feel like this essay could have been better developed over 5 paragraphs instead of one compressed statement.

Home / Writing Feedback / Cell Phones In Classrooms? This is not good idea.