IELTS TASK 2 - WHAT ARE THE CHALLENGES WHEN MOVING TO NEW PLACES AND STRATEGIES

juliachung 3 / 10  
TOPIC:

People today move to new cities or new countries more than ever before.

What challenges do they experience? What strategies are there to meet these challenges?

Recently, the immigration of people to other cities or nations has been increasing more than it previously had. By moving out of their familiar zones, it is inevitable to have obstacles such as differences in culture and climate and can suffer loneliness. However, these problems can be mitigated by doing research about the destinations and joining clubs or associations to make friends.

It is known that various places have different cultures which can cause culture shock due to relatively contrary lifestyles. For example, the two continents that have almost opposed cultures are Asia and America. To elaborate, Asian often care about the tradition of the country and also treasure family bonding time whereas the Western is more independent and usually does not have many rituals to abide by. One of the numerous strategies that can be dealt with this disparity is to research about the place's history and background story before going so as to have better preparation and can help adapt to the culture easier.

Besides, there are other challenges such as the lonesomeness as well as a possibly contrasting climate from what they experience in their hometown. Firstly, people might leave their friends and families to be alone in completely new cities or countries which can lead to homesickness and loneliness. However, there are usually clubs or associations to join in order to make friends and create relationships. For instance, for foreign students, there are associations namely IDP which can assist overseas students to be accustomed to the new environment better. Furthermore, the variant weather can affect people's health if they are not adapted to it. Hence, similar to the culture, the climate should be checked prior to the migration in order to avoid unnecessary health issues.

In conclusion, emigrating to another place has occurred more lately. Undoubtedly, there are challenges such as dissimilar culture and environment and feeling lonely. As a result, people should prepare themselves carefully and be more socialized to not be isolated in a different area.

I hope my essay is not too long this time. I wrote this in 40 mins.
Yes, you wrote it within 40 minutes. However, you are still over explaining and using useless sentences that do not help move your explanations forward. You do not need to over extend each paragraph introduction. You need only topic sentences to kick off the discussion. The examiner is looking for your clarity of explanation within quick responses. Short but concise. Similar to writing an exam in a classroom setting. You should not over analyze and over discuss. The essay needs to focus on producing less writing errors such as in referencing the race of people, plural v. singular presentations, and proper sentence structures. It is not enough that you wrote a lot in 40 minutes. You have to write with the least number of errors within 40 minutes. That is the only way to assure yourself of a higher than passing score.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS TASK 2 - WHAT ARE THE CHALLENGES WHEN MOVING TO NEW PLACES AND STRATEGIES