"How must we change our lifestyles to meet the threat of global warming?"

antondude 1 / 2  
Hi i just finished my argument essay on global warming and how we can change our life style, i just would like some advice before i hand my work in a week. its a 600-800 essay i wrote 800 Thanks :)

The threat on our planet earth is us. Without humans the planet will live on stronger without us polluting it. From our past and current bad habits and filthy ways, we are killing where we live. Luckily there is hope for us to change our dark past and thrive to a healthier and brighter future. The question is how can we all cooperate? Global warming needs to be fixed and there is one way, our lifestyles. "How must we change our lifestyles to meet the threat of global warming?"

We can do a vast amount of changes to our style of living, start of by focusing on our transport methods. One of the greatest power polluting machinery work, yet one of our greatest inventions, "The car". The car known as a vehicle of transport on average releases approximately 166 GPK (Grams per Kilometer). The revolution of evolving the car usually is increasing how fast it can go. Therefore we have more fuel consumption and a greater release of CO˛.

What we need to do is change the way how we run a vehicle. We are starting by using electric trains, now we need to look at the separate vehicle transport "car". Enforcing the production of the electric car keeping it at low costs, we can change the population to convert to the electric car. Then the thought about the old scrap diesel and fuel consuming cars. Form a recycle factory for strictly cars, we can change the way man transports and it will start with the hybrid and electric car. There on the CO˛ levels will be decimated.

Our coal industries play a huge part when it comes to global warming. We have been using coal as an energy powering source for years, powering up all of our homes, our lights, the television and computers. What would we do without it? The long term effect of coal burning use is hitting us good. Readings from our coal plants CO˛ release levels are phenomenal. There are ways we can change the way of power generating. Three major alternatives, either we power our grids with gas, continue to use coal but, find ways how to capture the CO˛ without it escaping or re-usable energy. Overall coal burning has a big impact and needs to be changed or at least slowed down for time until a decision is made for a change or power source.

Re-usable energy has been around for some years now. We have developed something so stunning yet it hasn't been pushed completely. Re-usable energy has been around for a while, one of our first inventions of re-usable energy is the basic but outstanding wind mill farm. The giant windmill towers are moved from the air flow which generates vast energy, in some towns a windmill farm can power over 50% of the towns population. An example of a town down in Albany Western Australia. One of the eldest towns in Australia and it has a windmill farm. It generates 75% of the towns need from only 12 wind towers. That is 75% of pure clean energy.

Then you think, why don't we all do this?
Some of the reasons for the construction of wind farms being not taken place are from the publics vote. Most people wouldn't like a big wind farm tower in their town. Though sometimes wind farms can act as a tourist location, so it bounces both ways.

There are other alternative re-usable energy recourses. The strongest and more modern type is solar. Solar energy can become very powerful, the solar panels absorb our suns energy and then sold back to the power grid. Solar panels not just make a healthier energy way of powering it is a cheaper way. If everyone just got 1 solar panel on their roofing it would make a vast change of the levels of global warming.

There is only one flaw on solar panels, it isn't cheap. Solar panels use silicon in the creation, the process is hard and expensive, though it is effective. From the costs for the solar panels, you could earn it all back with having a very low electricity bill.

Converting our energy to re-usable energy we will not just save money we will also save time, with the wind farms computer controlled and solar panels just sitting there giving out power, and the time saved without having to mine the coal. Re-usable energy is the way to go and should be taken further to the next level and implemented.

Over all there are plenty of ways we can change our lifestyle. Some of these may be tough but are able to be done. The entire human race must all work together to change the filthy past and bad habits, for a brighter and healthier future.

Thanks any tips or changes i should do would be much appreciated
The first paragraph can mostly be cut. It makes a series of baseless assertion that you obviously aren't going to be backing up in this particular essay.

Hmmm . . . the rest of your essay, while not quite as bad, really isn't that much better, either. You tend to use a lot of words to say very little. Ideally, you want to use very few words to say a lot. For example:

"We can do a vast amount of changes to our style of living, start of by focusing on our transport methods. One of the greatest power polluting machinery work, yet one of our greatest inventions, "The car". The car known as a vehicle of transport on average releases approximately 166 GPK (Grams per Kilometer). The revolution of evolving the car usually is increasing how fast it can go. Therefore we have more fuel consumption and a greater release of CO˛."

Could be reduced to:

"Our focus on creating ever faster cars has led to their producing ever more pollution, and now only by rethinking our use of the internal combustion engine can we save ourselves from global warming."

But wait! That isn't right, either -- Co2 isn't a pollutant. It is a naturally occurring gas, one which is necessary to sustain the biosphere. Also, we have speed limits, which means that most cars have not in fact been made for extra speed, since you couldn't avail yourself of that feature in most cases anyway. Rather, the real problem is that cars have been getting bigger, which is a different issue. And where are your sources and citations? What research do you have to back this up?

If you had done some research, you would have realized that oil and gasoline can be carbon neutral renewable resources. In fact, scientists have created a bacteria which can convert farm waste into just this type of oil and gas. They haven't figured out how to scale it up to an industrial scale yet, but the critter exists. This would be a much easier solution to implement, btw, because you wouldn't have to create a whole new infrastructure, as, say, you would need to keep cars running on hydrogen powered fuel cells going.

And, when you got to talking about coal, you might talk about the potential of anacondas as replacements: dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1177844/Wave-future-The-giant-rubber-sea-snakes-generate-electricity-tens-thousands-UK-homes.html

Really, what you have at the moment is a very shallow summary of a very complex issue. I'd start over, especially if you have a week to do research and revision.
OP antondude 1 / 2  
wow that is very fascinating information about the rubber sea snakes, that is amazing. Thank, but i was wondering is this how you are supposed to structure a argument essay?

I havent done much with argument essays and i would like an opinion is my essay and argument essay.

I am not very good with essays, i need help with this please :)
Okay, well, first you need to say something that someone might argue against. For example, you might say that a higher tax should be imposed on gasoline and the sale of cars that are not electric. People would argue with that! If you say something that is arguable, you can make an interesting essay.

It is very important to state your specific argument in the first paragraph. What is YOUR specific opinion about how to respond to the notion of global warming? Make an argument in the first paragraph,and then give supporting points in each of the following paragraphs. Make each paragraph support the argument from the first paragraph.

Then, in the conclusion, reflect and expand on that argument from the firs paragraph.

Here is a part I think should be changed:

What we need to do is change the way we manufacture vehicles. We are starting by using electric trains, now we need to look at the separate-vehicle type of transport: the car. Enforcing the production of the electric cars, and finding ways to do it at low costs, we can...

Good luck! It's not so hard! :)
You should probably combine what I said with what Kevin said. First, do your research. Until you have read what the experts have to say about global warming, its causes, effects, and the costs of combating it, you don't really have grounds for coming up with a solid position you know you can defend. Once you have immersed yourself in information about the topic, then you can decide which arguments seem stronger to you, and what solutions seems most likely to work. Then, you can come up with a thesis, something arguable and interesting, that you can defend. And once you have done all that, then writing the essay will be much easier for you, because you will be writing to defend a position that you strongly believe in, using examples and arguments that are rooted in the existing discourse on the topic.
OP antondude 1 / 2  
Thanks for this help, i am now feeling more confident on constructing this essay and it may lead me to be getting a A+ :)

Home / Writing Feedback / "How must we change our lifestyles to meet the threat of global warming?"