IELTS; Changing jobs and living places - Good or Bad?

Nancy Quan 3 / 5 2  
The world is changing rapidly. An increasing number of people change their jobs and the places they live frequently. Is this a negative or a positive development?

As the rapid changing of the modern world, more and more people make their decisions to alter jobs and even their residence currently. This phenomenon, however, has shown more demerits than its merits, as far as I am concerned.

It is undeniable that the popularity of changing jobs and living places has contributed to the whole society greatly in various aspects. For one thing, companies are likely to benefit from the different ideas, advanced techniques and innovative management methods brought by the new employees. For another, moving to another place to live can also encourage the local residents to be more tolerant and promote the cultural communication in social or global dimension.

However, there are apparently wide ranges of negative impacts in terms of frequent changing, which cannot be ignored. In the first place, a great number of corporations loathe losing, hiring and training employees frequently. One of the manifest reasons is that the ripple effect of job-hopping can be quite costly and time-consuming. What is more, losing an employee in relatively high and crucial position may even cause vicious competitions amongst companies in the industry. In the second place, many people moving in and out of an area too often is likely to give rise to a lack of sense of community. Consequently, the local residents may lose the feeling of safety living in this area, which can be regarded as one of the causations of social instability.

To sum up, changing jobs and residences frequently is more likely a negative development in current society than a positive one. Therefore, people should be aware that changing is not an excuse of escaping the reality. It is reasonable only when it can bring a better job or life.

This essay is written to prepare for the IELTS exam next week. Please give me some recommendations. Thanks a lot!!
This phenomenon, however, has shown more demerits than its merits, as far as I am concerned.

Change the order;
As far as I am concerned, I believe that this trend has more demerits than merits.

It is undeniable that the popularity of changing jobs and living places has contributed to the whole society greatly in various aspects.

... This line does not convey a clear idea.... You better re-phrase it

... I don't see these two reasons really matter for what prompt suggests you. Why do people change jobs? or why do they change the place they live? I think this is mainly because of their career progress, career demands, education of children, facilities, etc.
OP Nancy Quan 3 / 5 2  
I would like to illustrate some positive effects on the society in the second paragraph. I do not think I should discuss the reason why people change their jobs and places to live so frequently.

Am I right???

Thanks for your correction! It really helps a lot!
S0heil 2 / 7 2  
I would like to illustrate some positive effects on the society in the second paragraph.

I suggest you just mention that you are going to talk about some unimportant positive effects of changing the job.
And I think your result will be depend on how strong can you support your point of view.
I hope you will get a great mark on your IELTS exam!
Well.... your prompt does not ask for reasons for changing jobs...it asks you whether it's a positive or negative trend. So your essay should answer what the prompt requests. In your introduction you mention that;

. This phenomenon, however, has shown more demerits than its merits, as far as I am concerned.

So, I think it's better you dedicate both paras to justify your opinion. In other words, you give one reason in each para to show this trend has negative impact on society (you say it has more demerits than merits) .... That way you can align your writing with the prompt better.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS; Changing jobs and living places - Good or Bad?