Writing task 1 IELTS The charts below show the percentages of the water used in different sectors

Oscarl 1 / -  
The charts below show the percentages of the water used in different sectors in Sydney, Australia in 1997 and 2007.

Summarize the information by selection and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

The diagram compares the proportion of the water in 5 different purposes: service industry, building industry, household use, manufacturing, and food industry in Sydney, Australia in 1997 and 10 years later

It can be observed that there was an upward trend in the percentage of water demand in the food industry, manufacturing, and building industry, while there remain categories followed an opposite trend. In addition, the food industry had used water more than other sectors for 10 years

In 1997, with 48%, the figure of water in the food industry reached the top rank in the surveyed list, followed by the water consumed in households at almost 20%. This figure for service industry and manufacturing was between 15% and 13% with the higher in manufacturing. The last-mentioned sector was the building industry with 5% and took the lowest position.

In the next 10 years, the water used in the food industry underwent a marginal drop by 8%, however, this category still dominated the list and the least stills building industry at 2%. Besides, the total amount of water in the service industry and household use was approximately higher than food industry (25% and 21%, respectively). The statistic slightly decreased in 2007 and ended with 11%
The charts below

The diagram

In terms of synonyms, the writer chose the wrong word equivalent for the chart. A chart is not the same as a diagram. By definition the difference is:

Chart - a sheet exhibiting information in tabular form or a graphic representation, as by curves, of a dependent variable, as temperature, price, etc.; graph.

Diagram - a figure, usually consisting of a line drawing, made to accompany and illustrate a geometrical theorem, mathematical demonstration, etc.

Based on the difference in word meaning, the word equivalent chosen is incorrect and will cause definite LR score deductions as the writer shows that he is not capable of using a word within the correct meaning.

The summary overview cannot be scored highly due to the confusing information presentation. It neither coherent nor cohesive since it is combining several seperate idea sentences into one run-on sentence. The result of which will cause a failing GRA score.

At this point the writer has already ensured that his essay will receive a failing score, regardless of the content of his reporting paragraphs.

Home / Writing Feedback / Writing task 1 IELTS The charts below show the percentages of the water used in different sectors