Child Education / Parents / Social Institutions

muathuthattuyet 5 / 4  
Some people think that parents should teach children how to be good members of society. Others, however, believe that school is the place to learn this. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

Child - School - Reasoning

The debate over whether children should be taught about moral lessons in a domestic or external environment has attracted international attention among both the professional and non-professional. While family upbringing, as supported by many, is an important contributor to a child's mannerism, the strong influence that schools have on the young generation cannot be ignored. In the essay, I would like to discuss both sides of the argument before presenting my own opinion.

Those in favour of parental guidance on the proper behavioural tendency of a child propose a convincing line of reasoning. It is argued that since parents have been in close proximity of their children for a long time, they are more capable of instilling moral precepts in the young mind. Small children have a propensity to imitate behaviours of adult members in the family. Therefore, those brought up in homes where parents conduct in an appropriate manner are likely to mature into ethical citizens. Moreover, parents are in a better position to correct their children wrongful behaviours from the very beginning by imposing punishments or giving invaluable advice, thus preventing any potential unlawful acts conducted by them in the future.

However, ideas outlined above are not supported by some who subscribe to the notion that schools should be mainly responsible for producing good members of the society. According to their point of view, children cannot forever live under parental protection and have to enter a whole new world at some point in their life. Education institutions will serve as a platform where children begin to make social contact with people from different backgrounds, through which they will develop many social skills and learn how to behave in an acceptable way. Furthermore, once entering the education system, a child must follow the regulations set by the school as well as obey his teachers' instructions. This will shape the conducting pattern in the young, supplying them with adequate necessary tools to step into the society.

After considering both views, I am convinced that a joint effort by domestic and school education is essential for the development of desirable personality traits among the young.

please help me with this essay. suspended for useless thread title.
Nguyen, the opening statement which is supposed to be a paraphrasing of the original prompt is not very clear. The original prompt is related to the method by which a child can be taught to be a good member of society. Your restatement is all about the moral lessons that should be taught to a child. Teaching a moral lesson is not the same as teaching a child how to be a good member of society. A moral lesson is learned or taught after a mistake is made. Teaching a child to be a good member of society is taught on a continual basis, regardless of whether or not a mistake was made by the child. Your personal opinion must never be part of a conclusion. It should be a separate paragraph that is supported by evidence that will convince the reader of your stand on the given topic. The conclusion should only restate the prompt, the two sides discussed, and finally, a short representation of your personal opinion to close the essay. Based on these observations, the score of your essay will not be more than 4.

Home / Writing Feedback / Child Education / Parents / Social Institutions