[IELTS Writing] about children and television

ilavm 1 / -  
Some people in the United Kingdom decide not to have a television in their home. They believe that, by doing this, their children will spend the leisure time more creatively. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this decision?

Television has become standard equipment in modern family, especially as a media for people to spend their leisure time. However, some parents are concerning about their children for exposing themselves excessively to TV and decide to remove it from their surrounding.

There are plenty of researches ended up in suggesting that children watching too much TV will cause negative effects to them, such as increase rates of childhood obesity, prone to learn aggressive behavior and have adverse outcome in academy pursuits.

Moreover, children are often been characterized as zombie viewers who stare mindlessly at television for hours. Some even argue that television as a one-way information provider might make children less creative or imaginary. As for this, I agree with parents who restrict their children form watching too much TV and I further admire those who carefully select programs for their beloved ones.

Nevertheless, in my opinion, I don't think we should describe TV as merely evil; after all, it depends on how we make use of it. According to some researches, TV actually helps children. One theory called stimulation hypothesis suggests that TV programs is one of the source for children to gather ideas. There are two viewpoints of children's imagination, namely imagination play and creativity. Although there are some differences between the two brain activities, they are actually related to each other. They both need to generate ideas as fundamental elements, just like you need bricks to build up architecture.

To some extent, I agree with those parents who decide not to have a TV in their home for they wanting their children to spend their leisure time focusing on something different. However, if parent make their mind to do so, they should also help their children with their extracurricular activities. If we only step aside and trust in the environment, children will not find a right way.

----------------------------

thank you for your time and help : )
mpvick 2 / 5  
MMmmm. Interesting. having raised 3 children tv was monitored and they were allowed certain programmes. I had my special programs as well. we only had one tv in the house so it couldn't really be abused. I think if you bring your children up with books from the cot and read to them they will choose this as a form of entertainment and help their literacy skills. they always went to bed with a book and read before sleeping. They've all been educated well and love watching their special programs as well but certainly not all day.
Frank zhao 5 / 10  
As far as I'm concerned, you may raise your opinion in the first paragraph of your essay.
I'll give a few ideas below:
Television has become standard piece of equipment in modern families, especially as a media for use during leisure time.

However, some parents are concerned about their children exposing themselves excessively to TV, and these parents decide to remove it from their surroundings.

One theory called stimulation hypothesis suggests that TV programs are among the sources from which children gather ideas.

However, if parents make up their minds to do so, they should also...
Great ideas!! :-) You are cool...

Home / Writing Feedback / [IELTS Writing] about children and television