IELTS Writing Task 2: The choice of subject between girls and boys

sinchana2017 7 / 18  
In some schools and universities, girls tend to choose arts subject ( such as literature ), and boys tends to choose science subjects ( i.e. physics) . Why do you think this is so ? Should this tendency be changed.

disparity between both genders with choosing a school subject

Many universities have witnessed a difference in choice of suject preference between girls and boys. The observation is, girls are keen on choosing arts subjects such as literature, whereas boys tend to choose science subject like physics. This trend could be ascribed to the gender-specific differences, which does not require any assistance or change in its pattern.

On one hand, the top-tier institutions have shown the differences in subject preference between two genders. This can be attributed to the behaviour, attitude, and choice of individuals while selecting the major subject in universities. Girls tend to have a great deal of interest in learning logical reasoning, analytical skills, collecting information and writing clearly and coherently. Whereas, guys have shown enthusiasm in competitive exams, medicine, research and engineering courses. This is clearly a matter of choice and preference between two genders.

In my view, I do not think the tendency of choosing what inspires student should be altered. This is because, if chosen a subject of others choice or due to parents pressure, Juveniles will not enjoy their studies. In this 21st century, each and every person should be given the chance to select what they like and allow students to pursue what motivates them. A good illustration is the biography of M S Dhoni, who claims his parents helped him to identify his hidden talent and nurtured his abilities, which in turn molded Dhoni and he could succeed in adding his name to the list of top 10 cricketers.

In conclusion, the great disparity between choosing a subject in universities can be a matter of pure choice between girls and boys. However, it is advisable to allow and promote individuals to select a subject which is in accordance with their choice, which in turn helps them to enjoy their professional career.
ilskyilsky 4 / 9 2  
@sinchana2017
Hi.

In my opinion, you need to improve contents why girls and boys prefer another subject in 2nd paragragh.
For example, it may be good to construct sentences related to the social role of women and men in history.
Sinchana, always keep a formal, academic tone in your essays. Always refer to the genders as male or female, men or women, girls or boys, ladies or gentlemen. Never use the slang term "guys" or "gals" as you did for the boys in this essay. That is informal English and, while easier to write and remember, removes your ability to show that you know how to respect the reader who is a person in authority. In your opening statement, you failed to present just one tiny aspect of the prompt, your opinion as to whether the trend should be changed. Remember, the opening statement is the summary of the prompt requirement so you need to make sure that every question is responded to in the short form in the introductory paragraph. Even with that simple error on your part, you will still manage to get at least a 5 in this essay because you actually did present an understandable discussion. There can be some confusion at some points of your presentation but it is not enough to thoroughly stress out the reader. The discussion is logical and makes sense once you get over the grammar problems. I hope that you will continue to show improvement with your next set of practice tests. It looks like you are on your way to increasing your practice scores. Keep it up.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing Task 2: The choice of subject between girls and boys