IELTS Task 2 Choosing interesting subjects or gaining knowledge that will be practical in the future

wjc74751 2 / 2  
Some people think that all university students should study whatever they like. Others believe that they should only be allowed to study subjects that will be useful in the future, such as those related to science and technology.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

It is known that students must study many subjects in university. There is an argument about whether the university students are suggested to learn whatever they are interested in or research knowledge that will be practical in the future. In my opinion, I prefer the first idea, and my reasons run as follows.

Above all, interest is the best teacher. According to a research, the remembering rate of the students who study the things they like is obviously higher than those who study the typical materials, which indicates that interest can help students learn better. When the individuals learn the knowledge they are interested in, they will be willing to keep studying it and enjoy themselves instead of giving it at the beginning. Besides, it helps to develop thinking independence and respect their right to choose. When the students choose the subjects they want, it is due to their own choices instead of being forced by others, which is good for developing their thinking independence. The ability to think independently is very significant after they graduate since there will be no one to help them make the choices.

Nevertheless, the employment environment becomes severe due to the global slowdown caused by COVID-19 and it is not easy to get a job now. Studying practical subjects can make you useful in the future so that you have more advantages to be employed. So when choosing the major, the factor of usefulness also needs to be considered.

In conclusion, undergraduates are supposed to study the subjects they favour with the consideration of their usefulness.
The first sentence in this presentation is referred to as a throw away. That means the writer is using it to meet the wordcount only. Although it mentions some reference to the topic, it does not directly relate to the discussion foundation so it cannot be assessed as a useful part of the paragraph. Only the last 2 sentences of the presentation will be scored in direct relation and relevance to the original. The first paragraph can be composed of 2-3 sentences, provided these are all scorable in nature.

Another observation for the same paragraph has to do with the reasoning outline in support of the writer's opinion. Where the writer would rather not state his reasons, then he should not indicate

my reasons run as follows

since the examiner already knows that instruction. It is a non-scorable phrase as well. It would be better and scorable if the writer provides a proper reasoning statement instead. Every sentence in every paragraph should make or move the discussion forward. Do not say empty things as these will not help the sectional and final scores.

The writer missed out on the correct discussion format. He was to discuss both public opinions and offer his thoughts on each aspects (de) merits. This prompt tests the logical thinking of the person, as well as his ability to counter debate opposing sides. This is an essay that requires a 2 opinion analysis instead of a single opinion defense. He accidentally used the incorrect discussion format.
Pore 3 / 5  
I think the first paragraph should not include a specific statisitc, but please try a general way: researches. The second paragraph explains not as clearly as the first one. You seem to just throw out more than one new idea. You have to set one topic idea before discussing it.

Hope this can help you!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 2 Choosing interesting subjects or gaining knowledge that will be practical in the future