In-class practice - cheating in college should be punished with expulsion

MiiSTiiCZ 3 / 9  
Hey all, just working on my on demand writing skills. Any constructive feedback is appreciated. Thanks! :)

Prompt: Any student caught cheating on an examination should be automatically dismissed from college

Institutions of higher learning are strewn throughout the world in many countries. These institutions exist to pass on current knowledge and to add to the knowledge we humans already have. As a part of these institutions, just as with any schooling, different assignments and tests are assigned and administered to allow the instructors to analyze your progress through the courses. So, what happens when someone cheats on one of these examinations? As institutions of higher learning, colleges and universities exist mainly to pass on knowledge to willing individuals. When cheating occurs, the consequences extend beyond the cheating student and the professor; the whole class, sometimes the whole institution, is affected. Because cheating can have such widespread affects, any student caught cheating in college should be expelled.

Colleges and universities contain so much knowledge within their walls. These institutions contain willing instructors that desire to spread knowledge on to a younger generation. However, these instructors are there with one main purpose - to pass on extensive knowledge that they have gained thus far. Attendance to college is not mandatory. Therefore, one can deduce that many of those attending college have a desire to take in the knowledge that the instructors have to offer. When a student cheats in college, this sends the message that they are not willing to put forth the necessary effort to learn and retain the information they are exposed to. As Sir Francis Bacon once said, "Knowledge is power." Also, in the words of Stan Lee, "With great power comes great responsibility." These students are given more power as they take in more knowledge, but what they do with this power is up to them. They can either accept the responsibility of the power they now have, or they can reject it. Those that reject the responsibility are the ones that look for the easy way out - the cheaters.

Colleges exist to pass on information to willing students from younger generations. When cheaters enter the midst of these hard working, knowledge craving students, problems arise. Cheating causes not only problems for the cheating students later on, but for the professors and other students as well. To reduce the problems caused by cheating, I believe that all colleges should implement a no-tolerance cheating policy which results in the expulsion of any student that cheats in college.
SuperAgent1260 - / 1  

***I am not sure what the assignment is, but I would look at this as a straight creative writing essay where you need to state your case and give good supporting evidence about your opinion. That being said, it might be wise to use a more provocative headline, maybe ask in question form...."Should Cheating on an Exam Result in Immediate Expulsion from College?" something like that..a bit more engaging to the reader....

Institutions of higher learning are strewn throughout the world in many countries. These institutions exist to pass on current knowledge and to add to the knowledge we humans already have. As a part of these institutions, just as with any schooling, different assignments and tests are assigned and administered to allow the instructors to analyze your progress through the coursesI am not sure it's necessary to state all of this...seems like common knowledge and doesn't really support your point one way or the other.... Might not be a bad idea to START HERESo, wWhat happens when someone cheats on one of these examinations an exam in college? As institutions of higher learning, colleges and universities exist mainly to pass on knowledge to willing individuals. When cheating occurs, the consequences extend beyond the cheating student and the professor; the whole class, sometimes the whole institution, is affected. Because cheating can have such widespread affects, any student caught cheating in college should be expelled. I would like to hear some of the actual effects of cheating and what it can cause at a school....such as inflated grades, or inaccurate curve

Colleges and universities contain so much knowledge within their walls. Not sure I like the previous sentence, nor do I think it's accurate....a college/university is just a bunch of buildings....the people/professors/published books-periodicals, etc. contain the knowledge and represent the university... These institutions contain willing instructors that desire to spread knowledge on to a younger (some are older ;-) generation. However, these instructors (careful about repeating words too much in the essay...think about other words that say the same thing so it doesn't sound repetitive) are there with one main purpose - to pass on extensive knowledge that they have gained thus far. Attendance to college is not mandatory. Therefore, one can deduce that many of those attending college have a desire to take in the knowledge (you use this word KNOWLEDGE quite a bit throughout) that the instructors have to offer. When a student cheats in college, this sends the message that they are not willing to put forth the necessary effort to learn and retain the information they are exposed to. As Sir Francis Bacon once said, "Knowledge is power." Also, in the words of Stan Lee, "With great power comes great responsibility." These students are given more power as they take in more knowledge, but what they do with this power is up to them. They can either accept the responsibility of the power they now have, or they can reject it. Those that reject the responsibility are the ones that look for the easy way out - the cheaters. (Not sure how the quotes fit your persuasive argument....sure, knowledge is power, but...I am not sure the responsibility thing flows with this train of thought...)

Colleges exist to pass on information to willing students from younger generations. When cheaters enter the midst of these hard working, knowledge craving students, problems arise. Cheating causes not only problems for the cheating students later on, but for the professors and other students as well. To reduce the problems caused by cheating, I believe that all colleges should implement a no-tolerance cheating policy which results in the expulsion of any student that cheats in college. (Again, need to know more specific results of cheating, more consequences, what happens to the school, the student, the other students, who is impacted, what happens, etc. etc. What are the effects of cheating overall to the reputation of the school, etc. You have a good premise, now you just need to come up with some more supporting evidence and state your case a bit more persuasively...good luck and keep working at it...you are on the right track.)
OP MiiSTiiCZ 3 / 9  
Thanks for your feedback! I'll definitely be considering it throughout future assignments. I should have elaborated more as to what the assignment is... I apologize for not doing so. I am currently studying for the CLEP College Composition course, which requires two essays to be written, one in 30 minutes, and one in 40 minutes. I selected the prompt from a list and wrote this essay just to practice for this exam to work on organizing my thoughts and writing quickly. I chose the prompt and wrote the essay in 30 minutes, so this is definitely below par for me. I'm just attempting to sharpen my ability to write well under pressure. Thanks again for the feedback!
Panda271 3 / 11  
Hi. As a reader, I just feel that it is quite hard for me to catch your ideas! They should me made clear at the beginning of each topic :)
strewn throughout the world

I like this... very poetic!

Here is a lesson that will always be useful for you:
AFFECT is a verb. EFFECT is a noun. So... use "effect" here instead of affect.

Because cheating can have such widespread affects, any student caught cheating in college should be expelled.

You can use hyphens for this kind of situation:
hard-working, knowledge-craving----That is what a hyphen is for.

Great job with this! To make it stronger, use this strategy: refute the counter-argument (Google that term if you do not know it). That is what the essay is missing. :-)

Home / Writing Feedback / In-class practice - cheating in college should be punished with expulsion