Classification Paper on Reality TV

dberryhill 1 / 1  
Im not sure what to add or go from here. Your ideas would be a big help!

While reality television might be a point of contention for some people it is currently the highest rated type of television since variety shows popularized in the 1970's. Reality TV has become one of the biggest cash outs for the media in today's world. It has also generated ratings that took the world by storm. There are several types of reality shows that can be categorized into several genres which brings the topic of my discussion. This will include the categories of love shows such as flavor of love or The Bachelor, game shows like Deal or No Deal and Family Feud. Some reality shows can also be divided into a group I call forced living. Those shows include Real World, Bad Girls Club or the more popular Big Brother. Another type of reality show could be classified according to real life drama, such as Hoarders, Intervention and The First 48. Let's go deeper into what these categories look like.

Love-The Bachelor
This series revolves around one bachelor that will be dating 25 women. Staff members of the show follow the bachelor and his dates around as he courts the ladies and builds relationships. On each episode there will be an elimination ceremony were one or maybe two woman will be sent home with their bags packed. At the end of the show the bachelor must pick one woman of his choice to be in a committed relationship with or even marry.

Game Shows-Family Feud
This game show consists of two families competing against each other to answer survey questions. The object of the game is to answer more questions correctly faster than the other team in order to win a load of cash. It's also funny at times which I think helps its ratings.

Forced Living-Real World
This series has been running for the last 20 years. Each season, producers choose randomly 7 diverse people to live in a house in a major city. The show captures their interactions with one another as well as the world around them.

Documentaries-Hoarders
This is a one hour documentary about two different people who are unable to part with their belongings, so out of control that their families hold an intervention to try to clean up clutter as well as get help for their loved ones.

So why does the media embark on the concept of real life situations. Well the #1 factor would be that reality television cost less to produce, think about it you don't have to hire actors nor writers and sometimes there is no set or studio. The #2 reason would be viewers want to be entertained. People like to see other people like themselves on TV. Reality TV is unscripted with everyday situation and everyday people.
inform 8 / 21  
Some more reasons on popularity of the reality show :-

Reality Show is a change from the usual programs shown in T.V where a story revolves around a plot.
Moreover, reality show like American Idol gave young artist chance to show their talent to the world.
It also, gives an opportunity for people to be seen on T.V.

Home / Writing Feedback / Classification Paper on Reality TV