Classification essay; aren't rock music isn't boring - 'sub-genres of choice'

Orangeeskies 5 / 9 1  
I wrote a classification essay on a few sub-genres of rock music. I am unsure how to finish the intro/conclusion, and creating a good thesis. I was also wondering if the part about how I listen to each sub-genre should be at the begging, end, or middle of the sections. If you could also help with my grammar, I tend to have a lot of fragments in my writing.

Thank you!

Rock music is important to me because it act as an outlet for expressing things that I am unable to put into words. It also act as a stimulus, that allows me to awaken buried memories and evoke emotional responses. Rock music can be broken into many sub-genres, each genre consisting of its own unique sound. Rock music is a wide range of sub-genres, creativity, art, and emotions.

Indie Rock
I often listen to indie rock when in a good mood, while driving, and especially during the summer time. Indie music often makes me feel happy, and because I used to listen to this sub genre more often a few years ago it often gives me flashbacks to the past. I attend concerts of indie rock artists and that is another fun aspect of listening to indie music.

The term indie rock, derives from the word independent, which describes small and relatively low-budget labels which release "do-it-yourself" music. These labels and bands retain their autonomy, leaving them free to explore sounds, emotions, and subjects of limited appeal to large, mainstream audiences. There are many different artists that fall under the category of indie rock. Bands such as, Modest Mouse, The Black Keys, The Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, and the White Stripes, all fall into this genre.

Due to the encouraged creativity, the sound of the indie rock artists and bands may vary. Typically, indie rock bands have a unique and often obscure sound, which breaks them away from the mainstream artists who tend to have similar sounds. Indie rock lyrics are often witty, clever, and sometimes insightful. An example of an indie rock lyric from Modest Mouse is, "Hardly education. All them books I didn't read, they just sat there on my shelf looking much smarter than me." One can typically tell if an artist or band falls under indie rock if the music seizes to fit into a mainstream category.

Indie rock fans tend to be creative, artistic, eccentric, and often include, "hipsters" (a person who follows the latest trends and fashions). According to PsychCentral(2008) indie rock fans have been shown to have low self-esteem, not be hard-working, and not gentle. Indie rock fans may attend music festivals such as, Coachella, Bonnaroo, and Lollapalooza, festivals which appeal to Indie Rock. Indie Rock is currently gaining in popularity.

Post-Punk
In contrast to indie rock, I tend to listen to post-punk when depressed, upset, or in a bad mood. Many post-punk artists are able to channel the ugliness of depression, into the beauty of music. The post-punk music acts as an outlet for expressing my emotions, and eventually leads to my mood being lifted.

Post- Punk is a genre of rock that emerged from the initial punk rock explosion of the late 1970s. The majority of post-punk bands formed in the late 1970s-1980s. The genre is an artsier and more experimental form of punk. Post-punk often has a softer, gothic, sometimes spoken word sound, and often consists of emotionally deep or depressing lyrics with somber melodies. An example of a post-punk lyric is, "I'm ashamed of the things I've been put through, I'm ashamed of the person I am" (Joy Division). Post-punk bands include, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, Joy Division, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and The Cure. Post-punk fans dress similarly to the band members, wearing dark, usually simple clothing, and the women often wear heavy eyeliner. Post-punk fans are typically artistic and creative, while enjoying the darker more gothic side of life. Post-punk fans may attend a festival such as, Grauzone. Post-punk laid the groundwork for alternative rock by broadening the range of punk and underground music.

Glam Rock
I personally listen to Glam Rock when in an energetic and happy mood. Glam rock is the perfect music to playfully sing and dance to. Glam rock instantly puts me in a cheerful mood, and the wide variety of sounds and lyrics can fit any mood I'm in. Although Glam rock is not around anymore it is still a sub genre I am extremely fond of.

Glam rock, often known as glitter rock, developed in the United Kingdom in the early 1970s, and was performed by singers and musicians who wore outrageous clothes, makeup and hairstyles. Glam rock musicians such as, T.Rex, David Bowie, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, and the New York Dolls often violated gender norms, and were seen as taboo to many members of society. The glam rock sound is extremely diverse but tends to have an obscure, artistic, sound. Lyrically, glam rock consists of story telling, with references to space, transvestites, mythology, science fiction, and like most genres relationships. An example of a Glam Rock lyric referencing transvestites is, "Eyeliner, rose hips and lip gloss, such fun. You're a slick little girl." (Lou Reed).

The glam rock fans are likely to be playful, creative, eccentric, and are likely to be fans of the film, The Rocky Horror Picture Show. In the 1970s glam rock fans would most likely attend a concert of one of the bands listed previously. One who enjoys glam rock today, will have a hard time finding festivals or concerts to attend as the genre is not very relevant anymore. Although the glam rock scene has been nearly extinct since the 1970s, the artists continue to influence genres today.

Psychedelic Rock
I listen to psychedelic rock while relaxing. Psychedelic rock is often slow paced and perfect in creating a calm, relaxing environment. Psychedelic rock relaxes my mind and allows me to calm. Sometimes I listen to psychedelic rock before falling asleep.

Psychedelic rock is inspired by psychedelic culture and attempts to replicate and enhance the mind-altering experiences of psychedelic drugs. Psychedelic rock typically uses electric guitars, and studio affects, such as playing a tape backwards, lyrics often consist of drug innuendos and political or social movements. Artists such as, Pink Floyd, 13th Floor Elevators, Love, along with modern bands such as Animal Collective, Tame Impala, and MGMT are all considered Psychedelic Rock.

A fan of psychedelic rock may be eccentric, artsy, and a bit of a free spirit, or "hippie". One who listened to psychedelic rock in the 1960's may have attended music festivals such as, Woodstock or The Summer Of Love. In modern times, one may attend similar festivals as the indie rockers, as the modern psychedelic rock bands previously listed, often perform at the same events.

Experimental Rock
Experimental Rock is a type of music based on rock which experiments with the basic elements of the genre, or which pushes the boundaries of common composition and performance technique. (Woodstra, Bogdanov, & Erlewine, 2000, p.34). Experimental rock often consists of inspiration from other cultures, mixing and blending many sounds together to create an artsy, distinct sound. Performers may also attempt to individualize their music with unconventional time signatures, instrumental tunings, unusual harmony and key signatures, compositional styles, and lyrical techniques (Woodstra, Bogdanov, & Erlewine, 2000, p.34). Artists typically are never strictly experimental rock and often are a combination of experimental rock and another sub-genre. A few experimental rock artists are, Captain Beef Heart, and modern artist Dan Deacon.

Fans of experimental rock, just like the other genres are extremely diverse. Due to the crazy style of experimental rock, the fans may be more eccentric than any other genre. Experimental rock has a broader definition, and a variety of artists often crossover into this sub-genre. Due to the crossover of artists, it is easier for the fan base of experimental rock to have less in common with each other than other sub-genres.

In Conclusion, there are many distinct and different types of rock music that are broken up into sub-genres. Rock music allows the listener to channel emotions and feelings through sub-genres of their choice. Without the distinct sound of the rock sub-genres all rock music would sound alike, which would be boring.
linh110 2 / 6  
it act

I think It acts :) ...
Rock music is important to me because it acts as an outlet for expressing things that I am unable to putexpress ininto words. It also acts as a stimulus, that allows me to awaken buried memories and evoke emotional responses. Rock music can be broken into many sub-genres, each genre consisting of its own unique sound. Rock music isThere is a wide range of sub-genres of Rock and it is full of creativity, art, and emotions.

Home / Writing Feedback / Classification essay; aren't rock music isn't boring - 'sub-genres of choice'