Clothes make the man? -CLEP essay

musicmajor 1 / -  
DIRECTIONS: According to Mark Twain, "Clothes make the man." Write an essay in which you discuss what you think Twain meant by this sentence. Then, discuss whether you agree or disagree. Support your discussion with specific reasons and examples from your reading, experience, or observations.

What exactly did Mark Twain mean when he said, "Clothes make the man?" I believe he meant that the way you dress determines how far you can go in life. This is a theory I completely agree with. When you dress nice and look put-together, you are treated better and with more respect.

This theory that the way you dress influences how others treat you can be put to the test with a simple trip to the mall. As you walk around, you can see varieties of different people and personalities. You can also so the difference between where someone who looks trashy and someone who appears classy works. Appearances make a huge impact; especially first impressions.

While first impressions make an impact, the root of this theory is money. When someone is dressed nicely and looks classy, people assume they have money. People with money are treated better, thus "Clothes make the man." That person who is dressed in a sophisticated manner will be the first to be waited on and the first to be seated at a restaurant. But mainly, that individual will be the first to draw respect from the people around them.

Individuals who are respected tend to garner more followers; people see them as leaders. When you are respected, you are given more responsibility. Respected people have higher chances of moving ahead in life. Therefore, individuals who dress well will be able to move farther in life than others.

Mark Twain was insinuating that the way you dress determines the respect you recieve. Gaining respect allows you to move ahead in life. Much farther than those who appear careless. Dressing to impress makes the man. Start dressing nicely and make yourself into a respected individual.
When you dress nice and look put-together, you are treated better and with more respect.

When you dress nice together with your good looks, you would certainly be treated better with more respect and acceptance.

You can also sosee the difference between where someone who looks trashy and someone who appears classy works.

.... This line needs improvement;
You tend to form opinions about people by looking at the way they are dressed.

Home / Writing Feedback / Clothes make the man? -CLEP essay