Ielts writing task 1, Common sports played in the UK in 2008.

people participating in various sports in the UK

The bar chart illustrates the percentage of males and females participating in various sports in the UK in the year 2008.

It is clear that while Netball was the most popular choice for females, the figure for males who played Soccer was the highest. In addition, the biggest difference was in the number of females and males playing Netball.

As you can see from the chart, the proportion of males playing Soccer stood at nearly 25%, compared with only 5% for females. The second popular game among males was Other with 20%, which was twice as much as that of females. Similarly, the figure for males joining in Cricket reached 10%, which was significantly higher than the female figure, at only about 2%. The percentage of males playing Table Tennis was relatively smaller, with only approximately 10%.

Looking at the chart in more detail, around 25% of males took part in Netball, which was substantially higher than females' participation, at only 2%. Similarly, the proportion of females who enjoyed swimming( about 23%) was also higher than that of males(about 14%). In addition, the figures for tennis and basketball were quite equal among both sexes, from around 6% to 7%. Jogging was the least popular sport in both males and females, with just about 3% in each gender.

in the year 2008.

Add another sentence that enumerates the relevant sports before the trending statement to give the reader a better idea of the upcoming comparative data prior to the tending highlight.

In addition, the biggest difference ... playing Netball.

This is not a necessary trending reference. You should have used this somewhere in your analytical paragraphs instead.

As you can see from the char

Looking at the chart in more detail

No, the reader cannot see the chart. Always assume that you are writing a report for an image that will not be presented and word it accordingly.

Good GRA work in the essay. Your report is simple enough to understand. It avoids the pitfalls of run- on sentences and simple punctuation or single punctuation usage. You varied those enough to show a good grasp and understanding of English grammar and punctuation usage rules.

Home / Writing Feedback / Ielts writing task 1, Common sports played in the UK in 2008.