IELTS: Without communication technology and transport, the foundation of modern life will crumple

cy20070324 2 / 2 1  
Now people in many countries can live and work anywhere they choose with improved communication technology and transport. Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?

Nowadays, communication technologies and transport are of critical significance, as they enable people to live anywhere on this planet without being cut off from the world. While some may consider this phenomenon beneficial to the humankind, I hold that it renders more losses than gains, since these cutting-edge technologies subject people to work 24/7 and alienate them from one another.

Admittedly, communication technology and transport make modern life more convenient by allowing people to meet and chat anywhere at any time. Exchange students, for example, can still keep in touch with their family members frequently via Skype without having to fly across the globe. Not only does this help save budgets but it also saves time that would be spent during the flight.

However, people, even intimates, feel estranged from one another because of these new technologies. In the past, people greeted each other face to face and sent their best regards to their beloved ones on special days. Yet, these days, a text message or an electronic birthday card can replace that tangible contact, leaving people to recall those good old days in a nostalgic manner.

Another problem that comes with the improved communication technology and transport is that these things increase people's workload as they make people reachable 24/7. No matter it is on a picturesque and faraway island or in a mountainous region in the opposite hemisphere, the enhanced communication and transport facilitates interference from work in leisure time, making people only a call away from their desks in the workplace.

In conclusion, without communication technology and transport, the foundation of modern life will crumple. However, I still believe they bring more disadvantages than advantages, such as estrangement among people and constant exposure to responsibilities at work.

Kindly rate this essay on a scale of 0 to 9. THANKS!
Nowadays, communication technologies and transport are of critical significance, as they enable people to live anywhere on this planet without being cut off from the world. While some may consider this phenomenon beneficial to the humankind, I hold that it renders more losses than gains, since these cutting-edge technologies subject people to work 24/7 and alienate them from one another

- Solid introduction with a good thesis statement. This essay is off to a very good start. However, I seem to be missing the rephrased essay prompt in the paragraph?

- You could actually combine these two paragraphs into one in order to create a well discussed and connected pro and con discussion on the issue. I suggest a little more reasoning development along those lines.

- If you could just add a statement or two in support of the prompt before this discussion it would become better balanced content and information-wise :-)

- Your statement about the crumpling of modern life is a new idea that should be discussed separately. Develop a separate and new conclusion. . Surely you can lengthen your summary of facts to create a more solid conclusion.

Excellent effort. This is a paper that shows the development of your analytical skills, speed comprehension, and thought coherence. Overall, I would give this a grade of 7 based upon the reasons I stated above :-)

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: Without communication technology and transport, the foundation of modern life will crumple