[TOEFL] Compare and contrast knowledge from experience with knowledge from books.

aoey 6 / 17 2  
It is claimed that "Not everything that is learned is contained in books." Absolutely, the knowledge between from books and from experience is totally different. People, nowadays, normally start to study elementary subjects and basic theories from books. Then, they will gain experience from making practices and realize if it is the same as the theory says or not. From my opinion, I strongly believe that knowledge one can get from experiences is much more important than books with these following reasons.

First, a book can provide us an accurate answer for a question. On the contrary, learning from the past can give us several methods to solve a problem. For example, if you are having dinner out at a restaurant then you dress is dirty with sauce from food and there is not a detergent on hand, in that time you intuitively know that you can use a soap in the restroom to clean you dress instead of a detergent. This is because you realize from your every-day activity, washing your body. Obviously, people exactly know from their experience that the soap can use to primarily clean the dirtiness not from a book.

Second, something we cannot be taught or learn from books. This reason can be well explained by a swimming class. There is a theory of swimming in many books. Few people read it. But they will not be able to swim if they never practice. They even know the name of each swimming style. However, they do not know exactly how to swim or how to float themselves in the water. That is why people must learn to swim by practicing.

And last, there is not a book teaching us to survive in this world. Most of the things we do these days are from learning and studying from the past. Some are told from our ancestors. For examples, we do not learn how to brush our teeth from books but from our parents. Children do not learn how make friends by reading but learning from each other. These things are what people innately know without any book providing them a direction.

In conclusion, I certainly think that learning from experience is more significant than books. Experience is what we cannot gain from reading. And sometimes practicing teaches us beyond the lesson in the books. We study from books to know the theories but not to survive in this world.
It is claimed that "Not everything that is learned is contained in books." Absolutely, the knowledge between from books and from experience is totally different.

Awesome start :)

From my opinion, I strongly believe that knowledge one can get from experiences is much more important than books with these following reasons .

... It is implied that you would present your justification for why you hold this opinion in the body paragraphs.

First, a book can provide us an accurate answer for a question.On the contrary, learning from the past can give us several methods to solve a problem.

....well... this is a bit questionable because a books too provide all possible answers to one particular question. In this case, in my view, it is not anything to do with one answer or several answers. It is about that "practical know how" cannot be gained from theoretical books.
Altaa 11 / 22  
aoey
Absolutely, the knowledge between from books and from experience is totally different. People, nowadays, normally start to study elementary subjects and basic theories from books. Then, they will gain experience from making practices and realize if it is the same as the theory says or not.

I rewrite you introduction:

There is an difference between the knowledge gained from academic subjects and collected during real practices.People usually study basic theories from books and gain experiences from real practice.
Second, something we cannot be taught or learn from books.

What is this second something? You need to tell that to the reader.

Second, something we cannot be taught or learn from books..

You better re-do this paragraph once again. What is the reason here? It is that every thing in the world cannot be learned from books, and this is very true when we try to learn practical lessons. So tell this reason first to the reader and then give the swimming lesson as an example.
OP aoey 6 / 17 2  
Thank you Dumi :)
That was my mistake to forget to put the reason in the second paragraph.

I was going to imply that books cannot provide every knowledge we want to learn.
And swimming is my example for this reason

:)

Home / Writing Feedback / [TOEFL] Compare and contrast knowledge from experience with knowledge from books.