Essay Comparing 2 poems with the theme of "Women"

stacy32 1 / -  
I have to compare two poems with the theme of "Women". The two poems are Marks and Barbie Doll.

Purpose:
to present a compelling explication and interpretation in which you provide plenty of textual evidence in support of your thesis, that is, your interpretation, and are thus able to compare and contrast this pair of poems that have a common topic or theme.

How do I come about this? How would I come up with a good thesis for this essay??
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening :)

I suggest beginning with an outline. List all of the topics you absolutely want to include and then one fact and/or a supporting detail or story about that topic. You can include as many topics, facts, supporting details, or stories as you need to make a strong essay. Once you have that done you can rough out a conclusion; wait until the very end to write your introduction though. After all, how can you introduce something that you haven't even written yet?

Your thesis should contain something about comparing and contrasting items in both works. What items do you want to compare and contrast? This will come in your outline. Obviously the first thing they have in common are women. How are they portrayed, described, or referred to in each piece? Are there any common themes in that regard in the pieces? How do they refer, discuss, or portray them differently? How about assumed author's opinion? Do they think of women the same way, hold them in the same regard, or do they differ here?

I hope this helps get you started.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay Comparing 2 poems with the theme of "Women"