This is my essay on compassion. What are the qualities of a compassionate person?

afnagteilma 1 / 1  
First and foremost, what is compassion? What are the qualities of a compassionate person? According to the dictionary, compassion is a sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings of misfortunes of others. In addition to this, showing compassion according to Carolyn Jones is about having a softness in your heart for the plight of another and a softness for their woundedness. This statement is true because in order for us to understand other people, we should be really sensitive about their needs. I chose this core value for a reason that being compassionate has many benefits. One of these is it frees us up on anger. It allows forgiveness to dominate in our heart. It makes you become stronger and see the world differently and better. As a nursing student, I would say that nursing is not only about job, it is also an adventure. As I enter the world of nurses, I gradually experience many events and many happenings in life that I didn't expect to happen. I already experience touching the lives of other people. In a clinical setting, if you are compassionate person, you can have a more effective relationship with other health care professionals especially with your patients. Nurse's compassionate care affects the overall outcome of the patient. From the moment you establishing rapport to your patient until their problem were already resolve. Nurses are the major support person of the patients. We are the ones whom they can get their strength. We should let them feel that we care for them and we understand their condition. Let them know that we are always here for them. Trust will all reflect on the way you approach your patient. Patients have different ways on handling their condition, some will hide their feelings by means of anger and therefore as nurses, we should try to understand them more than our self. Same as through in dealing with other health care members. We have different ways also in handling stress. Therefore, we should also understand them.

Compassion not only applies to nurses but also to every individual. For me, without compassion, you will never be happy in this world. All of us have distinct characteristics. We all have something in ourselves that we don't like and feel shame but always remember that understanding and supporting one another is very important. As the saying goes, "No man is an island". Learn to understand others cause in return, there is someone also who can understand you. Learn to respect other person if you yourself also want to be respect. As Jesus said in the Bible, "treat others the way you would have them treat you." Showing respect is one way to show compassion to other people.

As an individual, I learned many things from my experiences and the experiences of other people. I learned by understanding their situations. As the saying goes, "Experience is the best teacher". When I was in high school, I misjudged other people. I judge them to the way they dress, talk and etc. Through experience, I learned how to put oneself into someone's shoes. This was the time when I learned to control myself. I learned to think first before doing anything. I learned to understand first their situation by putting myself in their situation. My experiences make me who I am now and have turn me to a better person.

Compassion is one way of making people happy. It is all worth it even sometimes you are already sacrificing yourself, your own happiness. If helping people who are in needs and making others happy is your happiness, just continue and no one will stop you. By simple things, you can help other and makes them happy. As a final point, you can show your compassion by doing simple things. As long as you love what you are doing with all your heart and this will make you happy.
broibra 17 / 19 3  
Hi, happy to read your writing.
I try to give you suggestion and correction, hoping it will help you.

I already experienceI have already experienced touching the lives of other people.

From the moment you are establishing rapport to your patient until their problem were already resolved .

Patients have different ways onof handling their condition,

I judge them toby the way they dress, talk and etc. Through experience, I learned how to put oneself intoin someone's shoes.

... I am now and have turned me tointo a better person.

Home / Writing Feedback / This is my essay on compassion. What are the qualities of a compassionate person?