'complicated thinking skills' - IELTS: the main function of university

Aida 1 / -  
Some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace. Others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer.

What, in your opinion, should be the main function of a university?

Nowadays there are a lot of arguments about real purposes of education in university. Should they give to the graduates knowledge and skills which will be demanded on the workplace or should they provide them with knowledge for its own benefit despite whether it is applicable for an employer?

From the one hand, it is accepted that universities' main aim is to give appropriate knowledge and to teach students all skills which in any ways may be used by graduates in their future workplace. For instance the skill like critical thinking. But then employees just began to do monotonous work, which do not require any complicated thinking skills (?) so the additional knowledge they got in university is not applicable and counted as a waste of time. So graduates start thinking that it would be more useful if universities coordinated the educational system with the employers' requirement.

From the other hand, you never know what you will face up to in your future job. To be a valuable employee you should have knowledge applicable in any sphere connected with your work, have skills which helps you to do your job in more creative way and to find new ways of solving old problems. So the universities nowadays trying to create a new generation of workers which will stay within limits of traditional thinking by giving them all-round education.

In my opinion, the universities should provide students with all-round education and not to confine with preparation of the students to only one certain work, because nowadays employers are searching for the diversified persons.

(262 words)

I would appreciate your feedback and comments on the writing. Furthermore, If you could tell me what band this essay lies in, I would be very thankful. Thanks in advance.
manjit809 5 / 14 2  
Nowadays there are a lot of arguments about real purposes of education in university. Should they give to the graduates knowledge and skills which will be demanded on at the workplace or should they provide them with knowledge for its own benefit despite whether it is applicable for an employer?

There are some problems with the sentence structure. See it.
jenny45 4 / 8 1  
and skills which are demanded on the workplace or should they provide them with knowledge for its own benefit despite whether it is applicable for an employer?

it is a argumentaion topic,you can't write like "discuss both views" you should have make your opinion more clear
polsestart 2 / 4  
For instance the skill like critical thinking
this sentence doesn't have Object.u should revise it.
Should they give to the graduates knowledge and skills

.... when you rearrange the order it reads well;
Should they give knowledge and skills to the graduates....

skills which will be demanded onat the workplace or should they provide them with subject knowledge in depthfor its own benefitdespite whether it is applicable for an employer?with less focus on its applicability in work environments

State your opinion in the introduction. That helps the reader to follow your direction and also earn your marks : )

Home / Writing Feedback / 'complicated thinking skills' - IELTS: the main function of university