IELTS task 2: COMPULSORY TAX PAYMENT (agree or disagree)

Paul16 5 / 7  
Some people believe that they should be able to keep all the money they earn and should not pay tax to the state.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Over the recent years, tax payment has become a major concern worldwide. While it is compulsory for adult inhabitants to contribute money to state revenue, varying people argue it should not be their duty. In my opinion, it is reasonable for governments to levy on workers' income and business profits.

Without a doubt, paying taxes plays a vital role in maintaining and improving social conditions. To be specific, most communal goods and services, such as parks, schools and hospitals are funded by public money. Besides, without tax, important departments, for instance, national defense and police would not be functional, which harms not only the security but also the world peace. On the other hand, governments are considered untrustworthy due to corruption and political instability, however, it is inevitable that tax payment significantly influences the community if state issues are worked out well.

Equally important, solving the inequality gap can be viewed as a primary reason why governments should levy mature citizens and companies. In the modern world, income tax would undoubtedly help balance the power between different social classes as the rich have to pay much more money to state revenue than the poor. Furthermore, public money financially supports the poverty, the homeless and the unemployed besides providing governmental pension payments for retired employees. Although varied people would argue imposing tax may shortly weaken the economy due to huge charges on the rich, other social classes would be benefited and motivated to contribute more in addition to dealing with the inequality effectively.

In conclusion, I strongly agree that it is essential for every mature adult to pay tax to the state instead of saving all the money they earn in order to improve public conditions as well as tackling wealth inequality. It is also recommended that varied major issues about politics and corruption should be eliminated so that tax can play a more major part in developing society.

This is my essay and I am hoping to see your feedback, suggestions and the band score if possible. Thanks in advance!
it is reasonable for governments

So you totally agree? You did not frame your response in an extent manner so you did not fully meet the response format requirement.

I strongly agree

I found this in your concluding paragraph. As per TA question and answer format requirements, this must be presented as your direct question response in the first paragraph. That is where it applies itself the most to your scoring needs based on clarity of opinion considerations.

world peace.

Incorrect reference. The essay speaks of taxes on national and local levels. There are no global taxes on individuals that would affect world peace. You could refer to national or community peace instead.

* Limited review. Contact me privately for band scoring services.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS task 2: COMPULSORY TAX PAYMENT (agree or disagree)