The computer provides us with convenience and eliminates manual work

shinxg 4 / 7 4  

IELTS task2 - agree or disagree problem

Write about the following topic:

Computers are often argued to be the most important invention of the last hundred years. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.

Computers now play a vital role in our society. Some people think that the computer is the most important invention of the last century. While others have different opinions. The essay supports the former idea that there are not other inventions more important than the computer. Firstly, the essay will discuss the convenience that the computer provides us with and secondly, discuss how the computer eliminates manual work.

Computers are used everywhere we can imagine since they bring us lots of conveniences. Customers use shopping websites or smartphone applications to buy whatever they want online. Browsing goods on the computer is much easier than driving to the shopping mall. Many young people do not know how to cook a meal. And ordering meals on the computer is an alternative. Years ago, we communicated with each other through letters. Now we use instant messager like Facebook, Wechat. No waiting is needed anymore. It can be drawn that computers have made our life more convenient than years ago in many aspects.

The computer is originally designed to deal with complex calculations that are used to be done by people. Calculating is a tiring and complex job. People often make mistakes doing such a job all day. Computers surely free us from tough calculation problems. After years of development, computers are able to do more difficult things now. Computers can control machines to produce goods without human guidance. In addition, advanced techniques like image recognition and automatic driving are also running on computers. Lots of tasks used to be done by the human now can be completed by computers.

In conclusion, there is no doubt that the computer is the most essential invention in the last 100 years since it not only makes our life convenient but also reduces lots of manual and complex tasks.
By using a mix of singular and plural ownership pronouns (Me, myself, I, We, Our, for example) you would have boosted your overall score because you would have written a good mix of simple and complex presentations that highlight your ability to use various LR sources and also, prove that you have a good grasp of how to compose an effective English sentence. You could have used singular first person pronouns in the first body paragraph, then plural first person pronouns in the second paragraph to better highlight your grammar range accuracy and abilities.

By the way, your final paragraph is a run-on sentence. Please avoid using long sentences that combine two ideas in one. That affects your GRA score. One idea per sentence please. That helps to increase the C&C scoring consideration for your essay as well. After all, the requirement for the concluding paragraph is a restatement of the discussion you provided in the body of paragraphs along with the topic for discussion and your opinion.

Good work on this essay. You are well on your way to achieving an above average band-score at this rate.
OP shinxg 4 / 7 4  
@Holt Thanks for your advice. I will try a mixture of singular and plural ownership pronouns in later writing.

Home / Writing Feedback / The computer provides us with convenience and eliminates manual work