Task 2 - conflicting views about the purpose of films

willoww 1 / -  

Some people believe that the only purpose of films is to entertain

Nowadays, people hold conflicting views about the functions of films. While some people believe that films are just sources of entertainment, I agree that films should also contain messages to educate watchers.

On the one hand, it is undeniable that the fundamental purpose of films is to entertain audiences. In fact, people want to see movies to relax after a long day coping with the pressure of hustle and bustle life. Due to the exhaustion and stress caused by overloaded duties, people do not have enough energy to continue to work, therefore, they need to recharge the batteries by watching their favourite programs. When watching films, people can be immensely happy or satisfied thanks to the gorgeous visual, catchy sound effects and fascinating content. As a result, people find films as forms of entertainment, which help them not only to feel comfortable at home or in free time but also to discover some new social issue that they have not known before.

On the other hand, I suppose that educational values, including knowledge about nature or humanity are necessary for films. It is true that people are tremendously affected by the content that they watch, so they should learn more about values from films such as morals instead of only being entertained. For example, historical films can enhance people's bravery as well as their patriotism by reviving the countries' wars. On top of adults, films also have an important impact on children, which leads to their development of awareness about the world. If they have chances to get exposure to meaningful films during childhood, they may gain a wider perspective soon.

In conclusion, although movies are mainly produced for entertainment purposes, I concur that they should not be simply for fun, however, must be useful for education.
the restatement + opinion paragraph is incomplete. It does not accurately restate the prompt as the points of view presented are composed of:
- 1 public opinion
- 1 personal opinion

The proper response format is actually:
- 2 public opinions
- 1 personal opinion

That is because the first paragraph needs to appropriately repsent the original discussion topics, along with a presentation of a personal opinion. Being able to properly present the restatement + opinion indicates an ability to fully understand English instructions, a requirement for any foreign student wishing to study in an English based school.

It is this mistake in instruction understanding that also created the incomplete discussion presentations in the body of the paragraph. While general discussions were presented, the flow was not that of Public v. Personal. It was personal overall, which is not how the discussion should be presented. The public opinion, each one, must be analyzed based on public reasons first, then the personal opinion for each may be provided or, a supporting personal opinion for one of the two may be presented for consideration.

Home / Writing Feedback / Task 2 - conflicting views about the purpose of films