Is Consumerism a major problem for societies today?

niravv 1 / -  
"I am what I have", the effective definition of modern day consumerism. Consumerism is part of the process that has created mass markets superlative industrialization. Consumerism is becoming a major problem in today's societies because the amount of products we make is not sustainable and we are depleting the world's natural resources. Because of the increase in consumerism, waste disposal is becoming a major problem in western civilizations. Companies are subliminally brainwashing the public into buying products. Consumerism, however, still has positive aspects.

Consumerism is negatively affecting our environment. Because consumerism is increasing, companies are producing more and more industrial waste that needs to be disposed. Waste disposal companies are being paid to transport industrial waste from moderately economically developed countries (MEDC's) to lesser economically developed countries (LEDC's) and dump it there. Because this waste isn't sorted properly and just dumped, lots of industrial chemicals are being leaked onto LEDC soil and making it harder for them to grow food. This exploitation of LEDC environmental protection is making the distance between and MEDC and LEDC bigger. A solution to waste disposal problems is to implement effective waste management strategies so that we can avoid negative impacts on the environment and health of the public. Strategies just as product dismantling and Reduce Reuse Recycling will help us fix waste management problems all over the world. Product dismantling is a specification that can be constructed by companies that allows their industrial products to be dismantled into smaller parts that can be recycled and used to repair other industrial products. Consumerism is causing lots of environmental issues that are mainly found in LEDC's, MEDC nations need to take steps to help develop LEDC's and stop exploiting environmental protection.

Companies are "brainwashing" the public into believing that they "need" new products. Companies are spending hundreds of billions of dollars on brainwashing strategies to generate the most revenue possible from the public. Companies are using aggressive marketing strategies such as subliminal advertising and product placement to make their product familiar with the audience and make them more likely to buy it. Subliminal advertising is when a company gets their product put into the background of a scene, such as having a coke vending machine in the background of a music video. Product placement occurs in almost every film and advertisement, it is when a company pays for their product to be used in a film or advertisement, such as Heineken paying $45 million to have their beer in the hands of James bond during Skyfall 007. Advertisements like this aren't always consciously recognised. The reason why Heineken placed their product in Skyfall is to shape the public's views and opinions of Heineken.

When looked at in a positive light, consumerism is beneficial to our societies. Most nations' economies depend on the public purchasing goods. If consumerism wasn't so large than most countries would have lower employment rates because of all the jobs that would be lost from retail and construction of products. Consumerism has pushed the world's inventors to create new innovations each day. Everyday new products are created and marketed. Consumerism has also created more competition between companies, so these companies will try to produce safe and reliable products to keep their reputation up. Because of the large numbers of companies, there is a lot of variety when buying specific products so it's possible to always get a product that fits all of your needs.

Consumerism is often portrayed to be a negative aspect of society. There are both negatives such as environmental problems, unsafe waste disposal and corporate brain washing, and positives to consumerism. Consumerism is an increase in consumption, more consumption creates more jobs and more income into societies and more income causes more consumption. This cycle when managed properly will bring growth and prosperity to societies. Consumerism is essential to a society's economy but authorities need to employ rules and laws to make sure that consumerism does not consume our natural resources and our planet.

Thank you
Niravv, I would like to take this opportunity to WELCOME you to EssayForum. You're yet another addition to the growing EF Family.

Now, I'm going to work partially on your essay with the focus on what really matters most.

So here it is;

2nd paragraph

- Because this waste isn't sorted properly and just dumped, lots of industrial chemicals are being leakedleaking onto LEDC soil and making it harder for them to grow food.

- Strategies justsuch as product dismantling and Reduce Reuse Recycling (use a comma (,) to separate this 3 words) will help us fix waste management problems all over the world.

- Product dismantling is a specification that can be constructed by companies that allows their industrial products to be dismantledbroken down into smaller parts that can be recycled and used to repair other industrial products.

- Consumerism is causing lots of environmental issues that are mainly found in LEDC's, MEDC nations need to take steps to help develop LEDC's and stop exploiting the environmental protection .

4th paragraph

- When looked at in a positive light, consumerism is beneficial to our societiessociety .

- Most nations' (no need for the apostrophe on "nations") economies depend on the public purchasing goods.

- If consumerism wasn't so large than most countries they would have lower employment rates because of all the jobs that would be lost from retail and construction of products.

Last and final paragraph

- There are both negatives such as environmental problems, unsafe waste disposal and corporate brain washing, and the positives toof consumerism. Consumerism is an increase in consumption, more consumption creates more jobs and more income into societies and more income causes more consumption.

So there you go, I made a few corrections, I hope it helps.

Just mind the following;

- choice of words and their form

- try not to use "because" at the beginning of your sentence

- proof read it

Overall, I loved reading it, and I can say you're off to a good start.

Keep writing

Cheers!!!

Home / Writing Feedback / Is Consumerism a major problem for societies today?