'consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City' - GRE Argumentative

mahsaa 2 / 5  
"A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of families in Bay City are two-income families, and a nationwide study has shown that such families eat significantly fewer home-cooked meals than they did a decade ago but at the same time express more concern about healthful eating. Therefore, the new Captain Seafood restaurant that specializes in seafood should be quite popular and profitable.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be addressed in order to decide whether the conclusion and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to the questions would help to evaluate the conclusion."

In the letter, the writer recommends that establishing a new restaurant that specialized in seafood could be highly remunerative. While, the argument rests on a series of unsubstantiated assumptions which each could be questioned in one or another way, therefore is unpersuasive as it stands.

The first assumption in this argument beg the question of why the writers believes that increased rate of seafood dishes unveil the fact that the Bay City Dwellers are into such food? However, there is no evidence to show that this is the case. As a likely, maybe due to an influx of temporary immigrants who are interested in seafood dishes, the rate of ordering such dishes has boosted. Also, it is probable that the quality of other dishes has diminished and people had to consume seafood; although, it is not of their favorite. Without ruling out these or other alternative explanation the writer cannot defend the conclusion.

In addition, this question may arise: Is the research that shows two-incomes families would definitely rather fewer home cooked valid and dependable? Emphatically no, because no evidence is rendered to detect that how many people have participated in the study. Furthermore, this question should be replied that if the sample used has represented the overall population of Bay City in all terms of sex, social class and age. Without knowing the responses of such questions the findings of the study are neither valid nor reliable without reservation.

Even assuming that the consumption of seafood dishes has soared, the argument still begs the question that if it is assumed that the things remain the same over past five years. Nevertheless, it is possible that economic recession is to happen due to malfunction of its official authorities; thus the populace is to refrain from consuming high-priced food, especially seafood in not too distant future.

In sum, close scrutiny of the argument unveils that it is highly unconvincing. To bolster it, the writer should let us know that why there is no available operating seafood restaurant in Bay City? As a result, many questions need to be answered to make the argument convincing.

Thank you very much for your help.
Mahsa Ghaffari
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
The first assumption in this argument beg the question of why the writers believe (the subject is "writers") that increasedthe increasing rate of seafood dishes unveils (the subject is "increasing rate") the fact that the Bay City Dwellers are into such food? However, there is no evidence to show that this is the case. As a likely, maybe due to an influx of temporary immigrants, who are interested in seafood dishes, the rate of ordering such dishes has boosted. Also (the words "furthermore" and "moreover" are better) , it is probable that the quality of other dishes has(use the same tens before and after the word "and") diminished and people had to consume seafood; although, it is not of their favorite (what do you mean? this part of the discussion is not convincing and clear) . Without ruling out these or other alternative explanations the writer cannot defend the conclusion.
OP mahsaa 2 / 5  
Dear ah_zafari,
Many thanks for your help
Halehh 2 / 2 1  
mahsaa
furthermore it is said that two-income families express more concern about healthful eating, Therefore, the new Captain Seafood restaurant that specializes in seafood should be quite popular and profitable. but there is no evidence that they necessarily make their food-eat decisions based on their expressed desires. maybe they just have concern about healthful eating and still will continue to eat unhealthy foods.

Home / Writing Feedback / 'consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City' - GRE Argumentative