Consumption of three spreads_Writing task 1_Line graph report

Loren 1 / 2 1  

Consumption of spreads 1981 - 2007

The graph illustrates the amount of the three different kinds of spreads used (margarine, low fat and reduced spreads and butter) between 1981 to 2007.
Overall, the consumption of margarine and butter decreased significantly over the period of 26 years. By contrast, low fat and reduced spreads were seen a increase in the amount of usage.

In 1981, there was about 90 grams of margarine used, then it fluctuated between 80 and 100 grams before fell to 40 grams at the end of the shown period. The figure for butter was 140 grams in 1981 and it reached a peak of 160 grams in 1986. Following that, the consumption of butter dramatically reduced to around 50 grams in the last year.

On the other hand, low fat and reduced spreads were used only from 1996 with about 10 grams, which grew enormously to over 80 grams five years later. This figure then slightly declined in the rest of time.

three different kinds of spreads used

This is literally cut and paste from the original image. The result? Score deductions in the summary overview. The writer did not even realize that this is an inaccurate image description that he should have corrected in the analytical summary presentation. The word "spread" has several definitions, one of which is the type of food as in the case of the 3 listed items. Therefore, the differentiation between a regular spread and sandwich spreads should have been made clear to the reader. For clarity, proper word usage, and differentiation, the phrase "sandwich spreads" should have been used.

The analysis could have been more complete and have been awarded a more increased score if the writer had taken note of the overlapping and meeting point measurements for the image. A deeper analysis could have been provided with the inclusion of the information that butter and margarine had equal measurements in 1993 and that the 3 spreads had equal usage in 1996b and 2001, based on the intersecting measurement lines. There is also another point of intersection that the report missed out on, which would have helped the essay get a higher C+C score.

Home / Writing Feedback / Consumption of three spreads_Writing task 1_Line graph report