conventional medicine, is it safe or not?

codeblue 5 / 9 1  
IELTS writing task 2

Currently there is a trend towards the use of alternative forms of medicine. However, at best these methods are ineffective, and at worst they may be dangerous. To what extent do you agree with this statement?

In this day and age, conventional medicine is gaining more popularity all over the world due to increasing number of diseases that still have no cure. However, some people contend that these traditional medicines are far more hazardous. From my perspective, I agree with this contention.

Admittedly, there are several reasons why conventional medicines are ubiquitous. Firstly, a number of anecdotal evidence supporting that these therapies work. For instance, we have heard many advertisements on the radio or television claiming that traditional medicines have healed certain diseases such diabetes, high blood pressure and even heart related diseases. What makes these statements strong is that it is often testified by some doctors as well. It also claims that there are no know side effects when taking these medicines. Furthermore, conventional medicines are more affordable compared to the modern medicine.

Nevertheless, there are some strong points to believe that conventional medicine brings more danger. Despite the use of herbs throughout the years and even ancient times, not all of them have been studied regarding their safety and efficiency. Most people assume that herbal medicines are better than synthetic drugs mainly because they are all natural, hence, presents no risk. Nonetheless, this is not true. They could do more harm than good if taken without studying their effects in our body. Moreover, the assertion made by people and even some doctors declaring they have been healed or a certain patient is now totally cancer-free, might be a form of propaganda.

In the final analysis, these conventional medicines has no scientific proof that it is safe, thus, must be avoided.
puman 6 / 13 1  
If I am correct, the question dose not compared conventional and traditional medicine.
Those could be your ideal in essay, but you should rephrase the background of the question .

In this day and age, conventional medicine is gaining more popularity all over the world due to increasing number of diseases that still have no cure. However, some people contend that these traditional medicines are far more hazardous.

In this day and age, there are many methods of alternative medicine founded in rapid rate. However, those dose not have any dramatic results on patients, even deteriorate their health condition...
eddies [Contributor] 25 / 1,208 476  
I like this topic. This trend also happens in my country, Indonesia.
Well..., it is a small talk before coming into the discussion :D
Without further ado, let's start analyzing the prompt:
Topic: Currently there is a trend towards the use of alternative forms of medicine.
Opinion: However, at best these methods are ineffective, and at worst they may be dangerous.
Task: To what extent do you agree with this statement?

Have a look at the essay:
Para 1: Well done. You write the intro by simply paraphrasing the prompt. However, you need more work for the hook. Hook should be short, clear, and catchy.

Para 2: You are being asked to discuss 'the ineffective methods of this alternative medicine'. One example supporting the main idea
Para 3: Then, explain 'why this may be dangerous'. As usual, one example supporting the main idea.
Para 4: Restate the thesis from para 1

Thanks. Hope this helps :D
Good intro :)

Admittedly, there are several reasons why conventional medicines are ubiquitous.

Well, you don't have to repeat this again and again. Straight tell the reader your reason and then support it with a specific example.

Good suggestions by eddies :)

Overall, this is a good essay and you follow a good structure too :)

Home / Writing Feedback / conventional medicine, is it safe or not?