Cool vs uncool - an argumentive definition essay

Joeyson 7 / 15  
This is a argumentive definition essay. We have to define something that has an argument. I chose Cool. I hard a heck of a time coming up with the conclusion.

Cool vs. Uncool

What defines cool or uncool? I could tell you that cool means not warm nor very cold, or that uncool means to be either warm or very cold, but I won't. I will tell you however that cool is the best way to describe itself. It's the best way to say something that swell without sounding uncool, which is the opposite of cool. Certain environments define cool differently than others. For example high school kids define cool as being the most rebellious as possible and uncool high school kids follow the rules and lack self confidence. When people think cool they think that guy wearing the leather jacket, flipping his hair and smiling. All the girls are obviously in love with him and all the guys want to be his best friend. When people think uncool they think that nerdy guy sitting in the corner studying linear algebra or complex analysis and actually understanding and excelling at it. There are many ways to define cool and how to be cool; there are also ways to be uncool.

Cool is never arguing with someone because you realize winning an argument is pointless. When you know you're right you just know it. You don't need to waste your time trying to persuade someone who has no knowledge base on the subject. Cool is not walking or running, it's gliding. While other people walk as slow as possible and others run as fast as the speed of light, you are cool, calm, and collected when seen in public. Cool is using your own language and not following the crowd. When others say "What up" or "cya", you use neither of these; you have your own expressions. Cool is never being scared. You look down at fear and laugh. You take fear head on. Cool is speaking and having people listen. Cool is speaking with such confidence that you never mumble and have to think of what you are about to say. Cool is being moderately late, so that you show up in time so that people notice how cool you are when walking in to class late. Cool people define cool themselves, they don't let people define it for them. Cool is knowing you are cool. What everyone else says is wrong. You realize they are speaking to you but don't actually listen. Cool is not knowing what "floccinaucinihilipilification" means. Cool is actually being so uncool, you are actually really cool, like Napoleon Dynamite. Cool is having a cool nickname, but no one really knows how you got it. Cool is wearing your hat any other way except the right way. These examples define cool, but what exactly is uncool?

Uncool is riding a hybrid bike to school wearing a helmet strapped as tight as it can be. Uncool is wearing glasses and pants that are pulled up to your belly button. Uncool is trying to be cool and fail and be an embarrassment in front of everyone else. Uncool is rushing down the hallway as soon as class gets out so you can be the first person to your next class. Uncool is having your mom pack your lunch for you with a note from her saying she loves you. Uncool is having all the buttons on your knock off polo buttoned to the top. Uncool is always carrying having the following with you: Pokémon cards, ACT prep books, SAT prep books, and 9 notebooks filled with unnecessary math equations. Uncool is saying things like "neat-o" or "rad". Uncool is lacking self-confidence and learning to accept it. Uncool is being so cool you are actually really uncool. Uncool is wearing your hat the right way, and only the right way. Uncool is driving a minivan to and from school and listening to Styx on the radio.

Both of these terms are used frequently in high schools today. Everyone is either cool or just plain uncool. There are many ways to be either. One could argue that uncool is actually cool and being cool is actually really uncool. It all depends on who you really are; whether it's what you look like, what you wear, who you hang out with, or your personality. Cool means different things to different people whether you live in today's society or one hundred years ago. So just remember to be yourself and don't worry what that cool or uncool person says about you. You are cool if you think you are cool, and if you think you are uncool, then well, you are uncool.
yang 2 / 313  
uncool high school kids follow the rules and lack self confidence

lol that's a very very bold statement, especially the second half. So you suggest that ppl who follow rules lack self confidence?

You are cool if you think you are cool, and if you think you are uncool, then well, you are uncool.

lol your conclusion makes me smile :D so what about those ppl who think they're cool, but are in fact simply half assed jerks?
OP Joeyson 7 / 15  
That's what makes this essay argumentave :)
MementoMori 3 / 2  
haha I thought the topic for the essay was great and I loved how you explained yourself. The conclusion was definitely the best part. I loved the line "One could argue that uncool is actually cool and being cool is actually really uncool." That is very true. Good job.
yang 2 / 313  

well you're not trying to provoke argument, you're trying to persuade the reader that you're right; argumentative essays are really similar to persuasive ones (except minor differences), and you're definitely trying to come up with the strongest and most flawless argument possible, not leaving the reader perplex and doubt you. If so...then are you trying to accomplish in your essay? point out an "argument" that has logical fallacies?
...means neither warm nor very cold, or that uncool means to be either warm or very cold, but I won't.

It seems to be a problem that you are approaching this as an argument o distinguish one word from another rather than to define a single word. This is about two words. However, what I'm saying is no big deal; it just might be better to give a little less emphasis to "uncool."

It would be cool to mention "uncool" only one in the essay.

Environments don't define things. you can write: Cool is defined differently in some environments than in others.

End your first paragraph with a clear expression of your argument. Right now you end it with this, which is not a good argument about the definition: There are many ways to define cool and how to be cool; there are also ways to be uncool.

This is not "arguable." A good argumentative essay says something controversial, but you are saying something everyone would agree with.

Still, I think your premise is pretty cool.
Rachach6 4 / 6  
really good essay,
i just feel that you said the word cool about 19 too many times maybe try to use other words like popular or even a phrase like being in the "in" crowd

Home / Writing Feedback / Cool vs uncool - an argumentive definition essay