'Coral Gables, Miami' - My lost palace

jincera1 2 / 11 3  
Discuss your favorite place to get lost.

Driving through the densely forested suburb of Miami called Coral Gables, in the pitch black of the night, is an average weekend adventure. Street signs are obscure, not having street numbers; however, Coral Gables has street names that sound identical because of the hispanic background. Within Coral Gables is where a great portion of the wealthy class of Miami resides. Houses are monstrous and look identical in size, shape, and color. Golf courses swarm within the suburb, further identifying the already prestigious suburb as wealthy and high class. Driving through Coral Gables on a weekend basis is asking the similar sounding streets to grasp you, twirl you around and throw you out into the black of the night to find your way back home.

Every weekend a friend and I drive into Coral Gables with one goal in mind, to get lost. This task might seem difficult and for amateurs, but in reality it is very easy and exhilarating within the suburb of Coral Gables. As we get lost through the streets, we enjoy the atmosphere and environment, and search for cues to find our way out such as my elementary school or even my tennis facility. Finding these cues is not an easy task because of the similar sounding streets which confuse us and make us feel as if we had completed a circle. Arriving home is not an easy task, and one might question our demeanor of purposely getting lost. I smile, pondering about getting lost again and phasing out their childish remarks because they do not know what they are missing out on.
elton_lou44 2 / 2  
You definitely need to show more rather than just merely telling your story. My English teacher taught me that in my college essays, that you have to show more to make your essay that much more appealing to the college admission officers. I thought that the prompt was weird, and i thought that you addressed very well. I liked your style of writing. But just make you show more rather than tell! that is very essential!. great job and good luck!
cezyou 2 / 10 2  
What about Coral Gables makes you like getting lost? Getting lost is usually not pleasant, so what about the 'atmosphere and environment' makes you like getting lost? Why do you think that atmosphere is there?

Also, 'for amateurs' sounds a bit awkward to me - almost like part of another clause like 'and it is for amateurs,' only missing the 'it is.' Maybe 'amateurish' or something?

Home / Writing Feedback / 'Coral Gables, Miami' - My lost palace