IELTS: In many countries, there are 24 -hour TV programs. Is it a positive or negative development?

kantyjang 8 / 15  
Nowadays, 24-hour TV programs become popular increasingly in many countries. There has much debate about whether or not 24-hour TV programs have positive effects on our lives. I tend to agree that 24-hour TV shows is a double-edged sword.

First of all, TV shows are not only important sources of entertainment, but also useful educational tools. 24-hour TV shows mean people can enjoy their leisure time with TV shows or acquire knowledge from TV at anytime that they are convenient. For instance, some people come back home late at night everyday because of their rush works. TV programs in the wee hours of the morning could help them release stress and tension. Thus, it is a positive development that 24-hour TV shows provide audience more choices. Furthermore, 24-hour TV shows must be rich in content and perfect in production in order to attracting audience at anytime. In other words, 24-hour TV programs must be abundant in both quality and quantity, which result from the artistic creativity of producers and the development of technology. Therefore, I think it is reasonable that 24-hour programs represent the progress of our society because of the causes and results mentioned above.

In contrast, some people think 24-hour TV programs have many negative effects on our society, especially on children, who may have less self-control abilities. 24-hour TV programs may cultivate children's excessive TV viewing, which would cause the diminution of vision even stifle creativity of them. Moreover, excessive TV viewing of many adults has been more and more links to obesity and the problems with attention as well as emotional health issues recently.

Overall, I think 24-hour TV program is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it enriches our lives and widens our views. On the other hand, if it were out of control, it would be a negative role in our lives.
ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
Keely, I would like to suggest you to write based on IELTS writing band descriptors of Task 2. It is available on IELTS.org. I reckon that it is extremely useful. One of the tips that I got from IELTSadvantage.com is to think like an examiner. If you think that way, you will be aware about your ideas development.

Furthermore, there are four essential criteria in IELTS writing task 2. Those are Task Response, Coherence and Cohesion, Lexical Resource, and Grammatical Range and Accuracy. If your target is band 6 or above. You need to know that in Task Response part for band 6, you have to "present a relevant position although the conclusion may become unclear or repetitive" . But it is unfortunate that your essay has no relevant position. Why? If the question asks you about is it a positive or negative, you need to choose one side only and explore it further. Some teachers advise that you can choose both sides but this often leads to an essay with no clear focus and a confusing structure. In worst case, "unclear position" is the criteria of band 4.

However, you do not have to worry. There are still 3 other criteria of IELTS that can be graded. It is possible if you are stronger in 1 or 2 parts, you can achieve high score. Please learn more from that band descriptors and read many sample answers to help you. Good luck for the next practice :)

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: In many countries, there are 24 -hour TV programs. Is it a positive or negative development?